In 1900, the replica handbags outlet Paris world expo. Under the Eiffel Tower, when the handover in the new century, the Swiss watch OMEGA style series with its hermes replica handbags excellent performance won the highest honor awarded by the international jury member clubs with fame spreading far ysl replica handbags and wide, and the Greek temple (Greek Temple) gold carved table is one of. at that time, the OMEGA watch the annual output 640-460 Exam Questions two hundred thousand, one thousand employees, is a Swiss manufacturer hermes replica handbags come first on the list tab.

hermes replica handbags replica handbags hermes replica handbags replica handbags hermes replica handbags replica handbags hermes replica handbags replica handbags hermes replica handbags replica handbags hermes replica handbags replica handbags hermes replica handbags replica handbags hermes replica handbags replica handbags Louis Vuitton replica handbags replica handbags Louis Vuitton replica handbags replica handbags Louis Vuitton replica handbags replica handbags Louis Vuitton replica handbags replica handbags Louis Vuitton replica handbags replica handbags Louis Vuitton replica handbags replica handbags Louis Vuitton replica handbags replica handbags Louis Vuitton replica handbags replica handbags replica handbags replica handbags burberry replica handbags replica handbags burberry replica handbags replica handbags celine replica handbags celine replica handbags celine replica handbags replica handbags celine replica handbags replica handbags celine replica handbags replica handbags ysl replica handbags replica handbags ysl replica handbags replica handbags louis vuitton replica handbags replica handbags replica handbags hermes replica handbags 640-460 Exam Questions Latest Cisco 648-232 Test Questions cisco 200-120 Microsoft 70-410 Microsoft 70-462 Latest Cisco 400-101 Test Questions 070-410 700-501 Microsoft 070-411 100-101 646-206 070-462 050-SEPROAUTH-02 Microsoft MB2-703 Microsoft MB2-703 050-SEPROAUTH-02 646-206 Microsoft 70-462 CCIE Lab CCIE routing and switching lab CCIE Data Center Lab CCIE Security Lab CCIE Wireless Lab louis vuitton replica handbags replica handbags
Henry Flitcroft: Architects and Scientists: The Twickenham Museum
The Twickenham Museum The history centre for Twickenham, Whitton, Teddington and the Hamptons
Click for Homepage Click for People Click for Places Click for Events Click for Research Click for Themed Exhibitions Click for Picture Archive Click for Timeline Click for children's section
Thursday, 23 October 2014
People Places banner image

Henry Flitcroft

  Date: 1697 - 1769

Architect known as 'Burlington Harry'

 
Henry Flitcroft
Henry Flitcroft
Apprenticed to a joiner

Henry Flitcroft was born the son of Jeffrey Flitcroft, and perhaps baptised at St Andrew, Holborn on 2 September 1697. His father was later employed in the gardens of Hampton Court Palace by William III. The family came from Lancashire.

Henry was apprenticed to Thomas Morris, a joiner of London and father of Robert Morris (1703-1754) born in Twickenham. Robert was related to Roger Morris for whom he had worked. It is possible that Henry Flitcroft and Roger Morris were together associated with work for the Column of Victory at Blenheim where Henry Herbert, Earl of Pembroke was also involved. Herbert was connected with the design of Marble Hill House in Twickenham.

Acquires a nickname

Henry came to the notice of Lord Burlington through suffering an accident while working at Burlington House. Burlington effectively became his patron so ensuring a successful architectural career and securing his nickname.

He was, between 1746 and 1748 Master Carpenter and then until 1758, Deputy Surveyor and Master Mason when he was promoted Comptroller of the Works. In this post he replaced Thomas Ripley and stayed from time to time in the former Master Mason's House, at Hampton Court, later named Faraday House.
^ top ^
Local connections

He married, on 3 June, 1724, Sarah Minns, daughter of Richard and apparently living in St James's Westminster.

Henry does appear to have owned property in Teddington, possibly living there at some stage. In 1725 William Lloyd, a bricklayer, and Catherine his wife conditionally surrendered, to, or raised a mortgage from, Henry Flitcroft. The property then consisted of two cottages which were on the south side of the High Street next to Faversham House which was on the corner of Langham Road. Catherine died in 1731 and her brother and husband are said to have redeemed the mortgage. However Henry's son, also Henry, still appears to have had an interest in the house when he surrendered the property to Thomas Setree, a capmaker of the Parish of Saint Paul, Covent Garden in 1770, after the death of his father. Although there is no firm evidence that Henry lived here, twin daughters of Henry and Sarah Flitcroft, born in Hampton, were buried at Teddington on 3 Feb 1740 aged 9 days.

Flitcroft is not otherwise recorded as undertaking work in or near Teddington. However, when he died, in his Hampstead house, he was brought for burial at St Mary's Church, as recorded by a tablet in the church and a tombstone outside. When his only son, Henry, died in 1826 he too was brought, from Stamford, to be buried at St Mary's. It seems that the respective wives of father and son were buried at Teddington: Sarah from Petersham on 11 March 1784 and Elizabeth, aged 25 on 19 May 1778.


Further reading:

Howard Colvin, A Biographical Dictionary of British Architects 1600-1840, Yale, 1995
Oxford Dictionary of National Biography
Gerald Heath (ed Kathy White & Joan Heath), Hampton Court - the story of a village, The Hampton Court Association, 2001
Manor Court Records
Parish Registers
^ top ^
 
Printer-friendly version: Henry Flitcroft
More Architects and Scientists

Burlington his patron... ensuring a successful architectural career and securing his nickname


TOP

Home | People | Places | Events | Research | Themes | Pictures | Timeline | Kids
Search | About | News | Newsletter | Contact | Site Map
Help | Credits | Links
Make a donation

© The Twickenham Museum