The Twickenham Museum The history centre for Twickenham, Whitton, Teddington and the Hamptons
Click for Homepage Click for People Click for Places Click for Events Click for Research Click for Themed Exhibitions Click for Picture Archive Click for Timeline Click for children's section
Wednesday, 20 August 2014
People Places banner image

Beveree

  Date: 1690

Earlier the home of John Blow

 
The Beveree, 43 High Street, was previously known as Rose Villa and later Roseville. It is a three-storey, brick-built, house with two-storey "side wings", built in the early 19th century on the site of a late 17th century house.
^ top ^
Chronology of the Houses

c1690 House built by John Blow, organist and composer
1799 Remains of house bought by George Gray, with permission to demolish.
1804 Site sold to Lady Ann Sheridan (d 1808), widow of Sir Henry Sheridan (d1802), 4th baronet, of Havering Hall, Essex
c1810 Rose Villa built on the land, perhaps by John Blake Deverell [d1820]
Edward Jesse (1780-1868), Deputy Surveyor General of the Royal Parks and Palaces
1867 Large part of house burnt down. The proprty named Roseville
c1879 The property renamed Beveree
Cptn Robert Arthur Crawfurd Christie (later Christie Crawfurd) d 1948
c1948 A Retirement Home
1992 Twickenham Preparatory School

Further reading:

  • Hampton in the 1890ís through the eyes of Captain Christie of Beveree, Borough of Twickenham Local History Society Paper No 71, 1995.
  • D Heath, Hampton in the Nineteenth Century, Borough of Twickenham Local History Society Paper No 27, 1973 & 1993 (2nd edition)
  • ^ top ^
     
    Printer-friendly version: Beveree
    More about Hampton



    TOP

    Home | People | Places | Events | Research | Themes | Pictures | Timeline | Kids
    Search | About | News | Newsletter | Contact | Site Map
    Help | Credits | Links
    Make a donation

    © The Twickenham Museum