In 1900, the replica handbags outlet Paris world expo. Under the Eiffel Tower, when the handover in the new century, the Swiss watch OMEGA style series with its hermes replica handbags excellent performance won the highest honor awarded by the international jury member clubs with fame spreading far ysl replica handbags and wide, and the Greek temple (Greek Temple) gold carved table is one of. at that time, the OMEGA watch the annual output 640-460 Exam Questions two hundred thousand, one thousand employees, is a Swiss manufacturer hermes replica handbags come first on the list tab.

hermes replica handbags replica handbags hermes replica handbags replica handbags hermes replica handbags replica handbags hermes replica handbags replica handbags hermes replica handbags replica handbags hermes replica handbags replica handbags hermes replica handbags replica handbags hermes replica handbags replica handbags Louis Vuitton replica handbags replica handbags Louis Vuitton replica handbags replica handbags Louis Vuitton replica handbags replica handbags Louis Vuitton replica handbags replica handbags Louis Vuitton replica handbags replica handbags Louis Vuitton replica handbags replica handbags Louis Vuitton replica handbags replica handbags Louis Vuitton replica handbags replica handbags replica handbags replica handbags burberry replica handbags replica handbags burberry replica handbags replica handbags celine replica handbags celine replica handbags celine replica handbags replica handbags celine replica handbags replica handbags celine replica handbags replica handbags ysl replica handbags replica handbags ysl replica handbags replica handbags louis vuitton replica handbags replica handbags replica handbags hermes replica handbags 640-460 Exam Questions Latest Cisco 648-232 Test Questions cisco 200-120 Microsoft 70-410 Microsoft 70-462 Latest Cisco 400-101 Test Questions 070-410 700-501 Microsoft 070-411 100-101 646-206 070-462 050-SEPROAUTH-02 Microsoft MB2-703 Microsoft MB2-703 050-SEPROAUTH-02 646-206 Microsoft 70-462 CCIE Lab CCIE routing and switching lab CCIE Data Center Lab CCIE Security Lab CCIE Wireless Lab louis vuitton replica handbags replica handbags
Dial House: Twickenham: The Twickenham Museum
The Twickenham Museum The history centre for Twickenham, Whitton, Teddington and the Hamptons
Click for Homepage Click for People Click for Places Click for Events Click for Research Click for Themed Exhibitions Click for Picture Archive Click for Timeline Click for children's section
Tuesday, 21 October 2014
People Places banner image

Dial House

  Date: 1722

An 18th century house, later vicarage

 
See also: Thomas Twining I
Dial House in about 1860
Dial House in about 1860
Owned by the Twining family

Dial House was owned by members of the Twining family from about 1722 until 1889. Thomas Twining I bought the property and either rebuilt, or converted and extended two small buildings already on the site. The sundial on the façade carries the date 1726, possibly commemorating completion of the new building.

Tradition has associated John James with the design and execution of the house but there is no documentary evidence for this.

Although the house remained in the family, it was leased to tenants from 1834 until 1866 when it was occupied by Elizabeth Twining until her death on Christmas Day 1889. Her wish that the property should be given to the parish for a vicarage was honoured by her brother Richard.

Converted as a vicarage

A survey by A Y Nutt of Windsor showed the need for extensive repairs before it could be occupied as a vicarage. £350 was donated by Richard Twining, £100 by Louisa Twining and £100 by Thomas Twining IV. A grant of £300 was received from the Bishop's Fund and the work was carried out by T J Messom.
^ top ^
The Old Vicarage in 1809
The Old Vicarage in 1809
The Vicar, the Rev Richard Tahourdin had already moved out of the Old Vicarage, now in poor condition: there were plans to replace it with a new building at the west end of the Garden of Remembrance where it stood.

He moved into Dial House, from Neville House, his temporary abode, in January 1892.
^ top ^
Twickenham Embankment, showing the Old Vicarage in about 1895
Twickenham Embankment, showing the Old Vicarage in about 1895
The Old Vicarage demolished

The Old Vicarage was now demolished, opening the view of St Mary's Church from the river. The house was probably built before 1635, the date of Moses Glover's map where it is described as "Ye Vickeridg Mr Goose". Thomas Goose was Vicar from 1595 until 1640 when he died.

Converted for the Bishop of Kensington

Dial House was formally conveyed to the Ecclesiastical Commissioners and in 2001 they reclaimed it on behalf of the Diocese of Kensington and converted it for the use of the Bishop.


Further reading:

Twickenham 1600-1900 - People and Places, Borough of Twickenham Local History Society Paper No47, 1981 (reprinted 1984 & 1988)
Twickenham as it was, Borough of Twickenham Local History Society, 1975
^ top ^
 
Printer-friendly version: Dial House
More about Twickenham

The sundial on the façade carries the date 1726, possibly commemorating completion of the new building


TOP

Home | People | Places | Events | Research | Themes | Pictures | Timeline | Kids
Search | About | News | Newsletter | Contact | Site Map
Help | Credits | Links
Make a donation

© The Twickenham Museum