May not Baden - Baden hermes replica handbags best tourist season, but louis vuitton replica handbags this time the 646-206 German town do not seem to lack anything popularity. Here in Germany there is a really royal palace foothold, a Prussian era villa built without going out to enjoy ysl replica handbags the spa. celine replica handbags Here to see my sister still replica handbags living in Ireland and their families, John. Holland was surprised, though still maintained a louis vuitton replica handbags correspondence between contact them, but have not met for many years. In the summer replica handbags the tree intentional, this long-awaited reunion of the family can even live Latest Cisco 648-232 Test Questions here in the winter, although they have no such intention.
70-410 070-411 fendi replica handbags replica handbags ysl replica handbags replica watches replica handbags louis vuitton replica handbags 70-462 648-266 louis vuitton replica handbags 70-462 thomas sabo louis vuitton replica handbags louis vuitton replica handbags louis vuitton replica handbags louis vuitton replica handbags celine replica handbags fendi replica handbags 70-177
Poulett Lodge: Twickenham: The Twickenham Museum
The Twickenham Museum The history centre for Twickenham, Whitton, Teddington and the Hamptons
Click for Homepage Click for People Click for Places Click for Events Click for Research Click for Themed Exhibitions Click for Picture Archive Click for Timeline Click for children's section
Saturday, 20 December 2014
People Places banner image

Poulett Lodge

  Date: 1742

Successor to a house perhaps designed by the Earl of Mar

 
Dr Battie's House c1750
Dr Battie's House c1750
A riverside mansion built in 1740-2 to replace a previous house ("Lord Denbigh's") destroyed by fire in 1734. It had three storeys and three bays with wings reaching out from the ground floor. On the first floor in the centre was a bay supported on pillars. The whole building was totally remodelled in 1870-72 to a design of Frederic Chancellor (1825-1918). Demolished in 1933 and replaced by Thames Eyot flats.
^ top ^
Poulett Lodge in 1923
Poulett Lodge in 1923
1743 Dr.William Battie (1704-1776), builder
1759 Nathaniel Lloyd (d1774)
1774 Vere, 3rd Earl Poulett (1710-1788), purchaser
1788 Mary, Dowager Countess Poulett (d.1819)
tenant of 4th Earl (d.1819)
1820 Mrs.Osbaldiston, Tenant of 5th Earl (d.1864)
6th Earl Cardigan (1769-1837), ditto
Colonel and Mrs.Webb, ditto
1826 Margaret, Dowager Countess Poulett
(d.1838), ditto
1839 Andrew Maclew
1849 Mrs.Isabella Ogilby, tenant of Mr.Maclew
c1865 Eustace Meredyth Martin (1816-1892),
tenant of Mr Maclew's heir
1870 William Henry Punchard (1835-1891), purchaser
1880 John Edward Meek (1837-1884), purchaser
1884 Mary Georgina Meek, widow, tenant of heir,
John Sanctuary Nicholson (1863-1924)
1891 empty
^ top ^
A plan of the Poulett Lodge Estate in 1925
A plan of the Poulett Lodge Estate in 1925
1890 Purchased by Cpt John Willis (d.1899)
1894 Peter Bond Burgoyne (1844-1929),
tenant of Cpt Willis
1904 Walter Samuel Bailey (1851-1928), purchaser
1919 Joseph Ambrose Taylor, tenant
1921 Henry Cresswell Foulkes
tenant of Property Agents & Owners Ltd.
1926 The Newborough Club
tenant of Social Recreations Ltd.
1930 Ernest William Skull purchaser
1933 House demolished


^ top ^
further reading:

Twickenham 1600-1900 - People and Places. Borough of Twickenham Local History Society Paper No47, 1981 (reprinted 1984, 1988)
Anthony Beckles Willson, Strawberry Hill - a History of the Neighbourhood, pp17 & 60, 1991
R S Cobbett, Memorials of Twickenham, Smith Elder, 1872
Michael Lee, Thames Eyot, the Site of Poulett Lodge, The Twickenham Museum Occasional Paper No.1, 2004
^ top ^
 
Printer-friendly version: Poulett Lodge
More about Twickenham



TOP

Home | People | Places | Events | Research | Themes | Pictures | Timeline | Kids
Search | About | News | Newsletter | Contact | Site Map
Help | Credits | Links
Make a donation

© The Twickenham Museum