May not Baden - Baden hermes replica handbags best tourist season, but louis vuitton replica handbags this time the 646-206 German town do not seem to lack anything popularity. Here in Germany there is a really royal palace foothold, a Prussian era villa built without going out to enjoy ysl replica handbags the spa. celine replica handbags Here to see my sister still replica handbags living in Ireland and their families, John. Holland was surprised, though still maintained a louis vuitton replica handbags correspondence between contact them, but have not met for many years. In the summer replica handbags the tree intentional, this long-awaited reunion of the family can even live Latest Cisco 648-232 Test Questions here in the winter, although they have no such intention.
70-410 070-411 fendi replica handbags replica handbags ysl replica handbags replica watches replica handbags louis vuitton replica handbags 70-462 648-266 louis vuitton replica handbags 70-462 thomas sabo louis vuitton replica handbags louis vuitton replica handbags louis vuitton replica handbags louis vuitton replica handbags celine replica handbags fendi replica handbags 70-177
Orleans House: Twickenham: The Twickenham Museum
The Twickenham Museum The history centre for Twickenham, Whitton, Teddington and the Hamptons
Click for Homepage Click for People Click for Places Click for Events Click for Research Click for Themed Exhibitions Click for Picture Archive Click for Timeline Click for children's section
Monday, 22 December 2014
People Places banner image

Orleans House

  Date: 1710

'a vast esteat to entertain soe many'

  Link to shorter version
The Octagon, designed by James Gibbs for Mr Secretary Johnston in about 1718
The Octagon, designed by James Gibbs for Mr Secretary Johnston in about 1718
Mr Secretary Johnston’s house

A dwelling house has occupied this site since the 16th century. During the 17th century the estate, crown property, was known as the Queen's Farm. In the early 18th century, James Johnston (1643 – 1737) Secretary of State for Scotland acquired the land. He demolished the old house and commissioned John James (who subsequently rebuilt the nave and chancel of St Mary’s Church, Twickenham) to design his new house. It was a rectangular brick building with a central feature in Portland stone. The Octagon was built as a garden pavilion, in brick with Portland stone dressings and surmounted by urns.
^ top ^
Mr Secretary Johnston's house as pictured in Vitruvius Britannicus published by Colen Campbell in 1715
Mr Secretary Johnston's house as pictured in Vitruvius Britannicus published by Colen Campbell in 1715
Gardening and entertaining

Johnston was a keen gardener. His gardens included two rectangular canals, a mount with an icehouse, an avenue flanked by vines, a parterre, a kitchen garden, a pleasure garden, a wilderness, a Grotto and a fruit garden. He entertained widely. Lady Wentworth noted that he had

“a vast deal of company dayly, hear is hardly a day that he has not a coach and six horsis at his doar, and some timse twoe or three more. Sure he must have a vast esteat to entertain soe many, and he has aboandenc of men at work in the grownd before his hous…”
^ top ^
Proposals for improvement by Lord Kilmorey as designed by Henry Kendall Jr, not executed (by courtesy of Orleans House Gallery).
Proposals for improvement by Lord Kilmorey as designed by Henry Kendall Jr, not executed (by courtesy of Orleans House Gallery).
Later residents – Orleans House

After Johnston’s death the property passed to George Morton Pitt, MP for Pontefract. From 1764 until 1792 the house was occupied by Admiral Sir George Pocock. Perhaps the most famous resident of the property was Louis Philippe Duc d’Orleans, (later King of France) who rented the house during his exile from France. Johnston’s house became known from then on as Orleans House.

Later owners included Alexander Murray MP for Kirkudbright, Lord Morley and Henri Duc d’Aumale, the fourth son of the late King Louis Philippe. In 1877, John Dugdale Astley purchased the house and converted it into a luxurious sports and social club which was not a success and soon closed. The last private owners were the Cunard family. The 18th century house had remained virtually unchanged but in 1910 the property was broken up and sold.

Demolition of the house

In 1926 a firm of ballast and gravel merchants demolished the house and other buildings. Attempts to extract gravel were not successful. At the same time, the Octagon, adjacent wings and the stable block were purchased by the Hon Mrs Levy, later the Hon Mrs Nellie Ionides and saved from demolition. She was a great collector and on her death in 1962 she left the remaining property and her picture collection to the Borough.
^ top ^
 
Printer-friendly version: Orleans House
More about Twickenham
Links to other websites
Orleans Gallery is the borough's arts gallery.

…he has an aboandenc of men at work in the grownd before his hous…


TOP

Home | People | Places | Events | Research | Themes | Pictures | Timeline | Kids
Search | About | News | Newsletter | Contact | Site Map
Help | Credits | Links
Make a donation

© The Twickenham Museum