Architect and bridge designer
1779 - 1860
Edward Lapidge was the eldest son of Samuel Lapidge who had been an assistant to Lancelot (Capability) Brown during his tenure as Master Gardener at Hampton Court Palace.
Edward designed the Kingston Bridge in 1825, the year after he was appointed Surveyor to the County of Surrey. He was also responsible for the designs for the rebuilt Hampton Church in 1830 and the new Church of St John in Hampton Wick at the same time, for which he provided the land. He has been described as "a tall and erect gentleman, usually dressed in a tall hat with tassels, wore hessian boots and was exceedingly active".
The Lapidges lived in a house known as The Grove, 24 Lower Teddington Road built in 1756 and surviving today. This was adjacent to a house which had been owned briefly by Sir Richard Steele, known as The Hovel. It was pulled down in about 1900
Howard Colvin, A Biographical Dictionary of British Architects - 1600-1840, Yale, 1995
David McDowall, The Thames - Hampton to Richmond Bridge, The Walker's Guide, 2002
The Oxford Dictionary of National Biography