Home of Edward VI's nurse in Church Street
Penn's Place is at 9 and 9a Church Street, Hampton. It was sometimes colloquially known as "The Block" due to the boxy shape of the building.
It is a two-storey brick house. The central portion of the house is much older than the projecting wings on either side, which are later additions. The central portion has largely replaced an earlier building. Certainly the brick floor of the cellar, which is not full height, is of great antiquity and may well be the survival of an earlier building.
c. 1500 Reputedly the home of Dame Sibel Penn (d. 1562), nurse to Edward VI. There is a large monument to Sibel Penn under stairs in St Mary's church, Hampton
1862 William Hammond (d. 1892). Used as a commercial School.
1892 Daughter of William Hammond. Boys Preparatory School. Side wings added and property divided in two.