1699 - 1777
John Archambo was a son of Peter Archambo II (d1759), goldsmith, registered at The Golden Cup, Green Street, Leicester Fields. He became a clockmaker of note. His grandfather, originally Pierre Archambaud, was a Huguenot refugee who came to London and worked as a staymaker. His brother, Peter Archambo III was a silversmith.
In 1750 he occupied no4 Montpelier Row, Seymour House, now no3. By 1753 he had moved, probably to the house known as Ferryside on Riverside, where he lived for the remainder of his life. At the time of his death he was a widower, apparently without children.
John Archambo played a part in local affairs; he was a churchwarden in 1755/56 and one of the original 26 trustees for the Turnpike (1767 Act). When, following a meeting in 1749, the Charity School in Twickenham was resurrected he gave his support each year, in the company of other residents.
He maintained an establishment in London in New Street, known by the sign of the Green Man, in the parish of St Martin in the Fields. This may have been his place of business although some clockmaking work may have been undertaken in Twickenham: he owned a cottage with workhouses attached, there. According to his Will other property in Twickenham included eight copyhold messuages: “four in the front of the street and four in the back lane purchased of John Reeves.”
John and Peter served as jurymen for Middlesex, at a murder trial at the Old Bailey on 12 October 1743. The accused, William Chetwynd, aged 15 was acquitted.
Peter Archambo III (1696-1767)
Peter Archambo lived in Montpelier Row from 1750, no6, Wolsey House, now no4, where he died in 1767. He, too, was a widower, leaving five children: Peter IV, Martha, Ann, Elizabeth and Esther. He did not appear to own property, according to his Will, but he (or his son) had actually bought a house in Sion Row in the year of his death. The purchase was recorded at the Manor Court (ACC1379/47, p33) as “formerly demised by John Gray to Thomas Reeves now surrendered by Tufton Gray to Peter Archambo” This house has not yet been identified.
His son, Peter IV (1725-68) died the following year. He, too, was a silversmith, having been apprenticed to Paul de Lamerie in 1738. According to his Will he was “of the parish of St James, Westminster.” His estate was modest enough: he left £100 each to his two daughters, Mary and Elizabeth and their mother, Mary Bent.