The River & 25 The Embankment
The building in which the museum is housed.
This building is reputed to have been built in about 1720. It has enjoyed a long association with the river and with watermen and ferrymen. Although we cannot say with certainty who all the occupiers have been, the house was occupied by the from 1896 until about 1952. This family of watermen, ferrymen and boat builders are first recorded in Twickenham in 1610.
For many years, particularly in the 19th century, the area between and the river, the oldest inhabited part of Twickenham, was run down and overcrowded.