In 1859 Charles Edward Murray founded the Whitton local volunteer corps
Apart from the regular army there were many people who gave part-time military service locally. In 1859 Charles Edward Murray founded the Whitton local volunteer corps, of which he became colonel, and set up a riding school and drill ground in part of his Whitton estate. Whitton also had the School of Military Music which opened in 1857 and in 1871 it had 144 soldiers and student soldiers (half of these were 16 years of age or under).he Hampton Volunteer Corps had been founded in the 1850ís and used the grounds of the Manor House for drill in the early days. Later, the former School of Industry in High Street was used as a drill hall.
By August 1914 the shadow of war was everywhere and many army and naval reservists and territorials had been called up.
Members of the 8th Battalion, Middlesex Regiment, reported to their various drill halls and the Twickenham and Hampton men proceeded to Hounslow by special tramcars. The Battalion later left Hounslow for Sheerness.