The Twickenham Museum
Exhibitions : Public Houses

Hampton Hill Pubs
There were known to be two pubs in Hampton Hill in 1839.

Duke of Clarence, now the Bloated Mallard

Until the Enclosure Act of 1811 the whole of what we now call Hampton Hill was common land; after this the land was parcelled up and development began slowly.
A directory of 1839 lists two public houses (The Duke of Clarence and The Duke of Wellington) at what was initially called New Hampton before the name was officially changed to Hampton Hill in 1890. The Duke of Wellington (now converted to housing), which, strictly, just outside Hampton Hill, came into existence before 1816. It was then in the occupation of Joseph Burton, who no doubt gave his name to the adjacent Burton’s Lane which forms the boundary. The exact age of the Duke of Clarence (recently renamed The Bloated Mallard) is unknown, although it probably dates to prior to 1830. The pub was re-fronted and extended in 1925.

The Crown and Anchor at the corner of the High Street and Windmill Road

Other early pubs included The Crown & Anchor at 99 High Street. It was rebuilt in 1908 when the road was widened for double tram tracks. It was later renamed The Valiant Knight, then Joe’s Restaurant and is now La Familia Restaurant. It was in being before 1850 as was the Jolly Gardeners at 94 Uxbridge Road which closed in 2000 and was converted into housing.

A charabanc outside the Jenny Lind

The Jenny Lind at 80 High Street was built in 1839 and named after the singer of this name, who was also known as “the Swedish nightingale”. The premises are currently closed awaiting a new use.

The Rising Sun at the corner of Park Place

In the 1860s and 1870s new premises followed the growth of the village, the building of the Waterworks at Hampton and the railway line through the area. The Star at 8 High Street was built c1862, The Windmill at 80 Windmill Road in 1868 and The King’s Arms at 141 Uxbridge Road probably in the 1860s. The Windmill was rebuilt in 1901 and the King’s Arms closed in 1954 and was converted into shops. The Rising Sun at 29 High Street also dates to about the 1860s.

The Brewery Tap or Mud Hut

In recent years there was a fairly short lived pub opened at 92 High Street. It was initially known as Cafe Society and then had further name changes; it is currently empty.

back to top