Famously played on Plymouth Hoe in 1588 bt Sir Francis Drake
Bowls in its various forms also has a long history. The modern game developed in Scotland; the Scottish Bowling Association being formed in 1892 but the English not until 1903.
The menís section of the Teddington Bowls Club was founded in 1910 next to the Clarence Hotel (now The Park Hotel) and moved to Grove Gardens in 1935. The ladiesí club was formed in 1935 and the two clubs were amalgamated in 2006
The Cambridge Park Bowls Club was established by William Poupart and other local businessmen in 1920. Other local clubs included the Strawberry Hill Bowls Club founded in 1920,
still playing in Radnor Gardens, and the Hampton Bowls Club which since its formation in 1928 has played at Carlisle Park in Wensleydale Road.