Hampton Wick in 1914
The area is dominated by Bushy Park.
Unlike other parts of the old Borough of Twickenham, Hampton Wick in terms of land area is completely dominated by the huge open spaces of Bushy Park and Hampton Court Park (Home Park). Thus the actual built area is very small. The northern border with Teddington runs half way along Normansfield Avenue and then across to Bushy Park in a westerly direction and drops down slightly south of Normansfield Avenue and across to the river the other way. The railway line looms large and runs diagonally across the map before crossing the river to Kingston. The tram lines in 1914 ran under the railway bridge near the Station (above) and up the Upper Teddington Road, then dominated by large properties, to the Teddington border. The station has since been rebuilt. The Lower Teddington Road also still had mainly very large properties. Some of these have now been replaced by flats, as well as additional properties and infill. Park Road also had some very large properties including Park House with its extensive grounds, opposite the junction with Church Grove, and the Vicarage, but these are now built on.
In the High Street the tram lines are clearly marked on the map. Much demolition and rebuilding had been necessary in 1902 to widen the road to accommodate the trams. Old Bridge Street is a reminder of the line the old bridge used to take across the river. This street has since been substantially redeveloped. Enterprises such as an engineering works and a foundry are marked on the map as these businesses then formed part of the working village.
At the southern end of the village the Hampton Court Road is the dominant feature on another map in the exhibition. It runs between Bushy Park and Home Park in an area historically called “Between the Walls” due to the high walls that enclose the two parks on either side of the road. Trams from Hampton Court ran along this road and either turned right across Kingston Bridge or continued on through Hampton Wick village towards Teddington. The tram route across Kingston Bridge had opened on 1 March 1906 (pictured right).
At the extreme south west corner of the parish we find the cluster of mainly very old properties around Hampton Court Palace and its very extensive grounds, and Home Park. The actual palace is in Hampton but most of the palace gardens are in Hampton Wick as the boundary runs round two sides of the building. The Long Water and Stud House and its surrounding enclosure in Home Park are major landmarks.