The Twickenham Museum
Places : Whitton

The Suckling houses
Later known as Warren Farm

  • 1609 Birth of John Suckling Jr in an existing house then known as Goodfathers.

  • 1622 Sir John Suckling builds a second house

  • 1627 Sir John Suckling dies, the Whitton property bequeathed to his son John, but not until he is 25

  • 1634 Sir John Suckling Jr inherits the estate

  • 1635 sells to Michael & Richard Holman of Twickenham

  • 1659 Michael Holman & his wife Sarah die

  • 1664 Richard Holman assessed for 19 Hearths, house empty

  • 1671 Richard Holman sells to Lord John Belasyse

  • 1672 Lord Belasyse assessed for 17 Hearths

  • 1687 Lord Belasyse sells to Anthony Cary, 5th Viscount Falkland (1656-94)

  • 1694 Lady Falkland inherits on the death of her husband

  • 1711 Duke of Quinsborough pays rates

  • 1712 to1714 Capt Gardiner pays a half rate

  • 1718 to 1728 Colonel Gardiner pays a half rate

  • 1729 Madam Gardiner pays the rates

  • 1730 Mr. Brumpton ratepayer

  • 1732 and 1733. no entry in the rate books

  • 1734 to 1737 Mr. Crawford pays rates for Brumptons

  • 1738 to 1758 Daniel Blake pays rates for Brumptons

Full rates are paid for the property up to 1711, thereafter a reduced rate is paid, so it is possible the house may have been partly demolished by this time. By the later part of the 18th century the site of the former Suckling house is a farm. The house, known as Warren Farm, was demolished when Warren Road and Crane Way were built in the early 1930s.

Sir John Suckling had built up a large property interest at Whitton in the early 17th century, this large estate was transferred through to the Holmans, Belasyse and Falklands. In the 18th century Brumpton and then Townsend Andrews father and son were the owners, followed by Edmund Hill of the Powder Mills. From about 1730 the land is leased out by the owners as farm land, none of the owners, except Hill, lived at Whitton.

In the Enclosure Award, of 1818, Samuel Pulsford was the owner, later inherited by his son Robert in 1835.

Accession 162 at the London Metropolitan Archives contains many of the property details up to 1904.

back to top