The Twickenham Museum
Research: Houses of local interest and their occupiers

Walnut Tree House, Twickenham

London Road/Katherine Road, Twickenham

Rev Robert Moreton
1764 John Jorden (d1780), corn chandler. Copyhold of Isleworth Rectory Manor
1773 *Miss Quentry
1774 *Lady Frances Shirley (1707-78)
1779 Samuel Pritchard >1798
1797 Philip Colomb (d1799) by inheritance from Horace Walpole
1799 House empty
1800 Elizabeth Colomb, widow
1818 Mrs Colomb (d1829)
1840 Mrs Frances Robson (d1851). Walnut Tree House Academy
1853 Mrs Gibbon
1858 Mrs Gibbon
1861 Walter Higgins Gatwood
1877 House (10 bedrooms & a former schoolroom) for sale, freehold, by Chancellors
1878 House demolished
The house stood on the corner of London Road and Katherine (formerly Alma) Road, nearly opposite the Police Station
Walnut Tree House in about 1860, from a drawing by James Gooch
Walnut Tree House in 1877

Note: * signifies tenant or lessee of property, where known. Many of the dates noted are "spot" dates taken from rate books, directories, Enclosure Award, maps, or other sources and may not indicate arrival or departure of an occupier. Occupation is shown chronologically although some exact dates have not yet been ascertained.