The Twickenham Museum
Research: Houses of local interest and their occupiers

The Grove, Teddington

Teddington, Teddington

c1760 House built for Moses Franks (1719-89)
1790 Denne Esq
1791 The Reverend William Cooper
1794 ? William Swiney Neligan
1795 John Walter (1739-1812), founder of "The Times"
1817 Nugent Kirkland
1826 Lady Jane Montgomerie
1829 Archibald Hamilton
1829 James Strachan (1791-1874)
1868 Edward Barber
1873 William Howard (1820-91)
1874 Mary Howard (1846-1902), widow
1903 Charles Howard
1920 Colonel F Howard
1921 house demolished about now

Note: * signifies tenant or lessee of property, where known. Many of the dates noted are "spot" dates taken from rate books, directories, Enclosure Award, maps, or other sources and may not indicate arrival or departure of an occupier. Occupation is shown chronologically although some exact dates have not yet been ascertained.