The Twickenham Museum
Research: Houses of local interest and their occupiers

Bath House
Mr Gittins' School

London Road, Twickenham

1777 Rev Maltby Lyscombe Stretch (1737-1813), Twyford >1788
1779-88 "The Academy"
1784 Rev Mr Stretch (Samuel Lewis) >1789
1792
1818 Colonel Espinasse, 4th (or King's Own) Regiment (moved to Heatham House in 1830)
1830
1845 William Gittins (1800-c1853) & pupils
1851 William Gittins & Susannah (& Thomas Matthewson, Asst. Master) & 15 scholars including 2 girls
c1853 Richard Merrett, schoolmaster & 12 pupils
1865 ditto
1871 Richard Merrett, schoolmaster & 19 pupils
1873 House used as an annex for the Metropolitan & City Police Orphanage in Fortescue House
1889 W Pegg
1894 House for sale by J N Goatly
Bath House in 1850, drawn by Mr Gittins' pupils
London Road in 1881

Note: * signifies tenant or lessee of property, where known. Many of the dates noted are "spot" dates taken from rate books, directories, Enclosure Award, maps, or other sources and may not indicate arrival or departure of an occupier. Occupation is shown chronologically although some exact dates have not yet been ascertained.