The Twickenham Museum The history centre for Twickenham, Whitton, Teddington and the Hamptons
Click for Homepage Click for People Click for Places Click for Events Click for Research Click for Themed Exhibitions Click for Picture Archive Click for Timeline Click for children's section
Sunday, 26 October 2014
Research header image
Houses of Local Interest & their Occupiers
Home | << back
 Gifford Lodge Twickenham Green
1699 Thomas Wentworth, Lord Raby (cr Earl of Strafford 1711)
1705-27 Lady Anne Holles (d1727) & Lady Eleanor Holles (d1708)
1747 Admiral Sir Chaloner Ogle (d1750), of Kirkley Hall, Ponteland, Northumberland
1748 An extension designed by James Gibbs
1751 Lord Kingston (married widow Lady Ogle) d1761
1762 George Hay, 4th Marquis of Tweeddale (1695-1762)
1763 Frances Hay, Marchioness of Tweddale (d1788)
house partly rebuilt
house named Gifford Lodge (after her 2nd title)
1773 *Brien Esq
1774 *Baron Ephrem Lopez Pereira D'Aguilar (1739-1802), from Highshot House. A Sephardic Jew, b.Vienna son of Diego Lopez Pereira, Treasurer to Queen Maria
1776 *Alexander Wynch (1721-81), Governor of Madras 1773-5, of Westhorpe House, nr Marlow
1781 house empty
1782 Marchioness of Tweeddale
1787 *Mrs Skinner
1789 *General John Gunning (d1797)
1790 *Thomas Wildman, M P (d21 Dec 1795)
1796 *Burton Esq
1799 George Cloake
1799 Samuel Davies. House remodelled
1800 Dorothea Jordan (via Henry Walker)
1800 "....which is enclosd within a wall lately built....with boundaries North/South 182 feet; East/West 170 feet (ACC 1379/53 25 Apr, p496
1807 Charles Duff (via Henry Walker acting for Dorothea Jordan)
James Erskine
1810 Stanley Fletcher Heys
1812 Richard Ancell (1756-1844) "of Downing Street"
1844 Eliza Frances Ancell ((1786-1860), widow
Charlotte Sophie Speller, sister, spinster, d1868
Emmeline Harriet Martin (d1873)
1859 Arthur Birch Esq
1865 William Collinson
1868 30 year lease to William Collinson
1872 William Collinson
1887 Augustin William Spicer
1891 Nathaniel Alfred Clifford of The Grange
*Captain William Fortescue
1899 J F Hall
1900 John Michael F Hiddingh
1916 Robert George Speaker
1918 Harold Isacksen
1934 Thomas Edward Schofield
c1950 House acquired by Twickenham Borough Council - house derelict
1963 Demolished by fire

Gifford Lodge on Twickenham Common (later Green) in 1753
Gifford Lodge on Twickenham Common (later Green) in 1753



TOP

Home | People | Places | Events | Research | Themes | Pictures | Timeline | Kids
Search | About | News | Newsletter | Contact | Site Map
Help | Credits | Links
Make a donation

© The Twickenham Museum