St Mary's & St Peter's, Teddington
1831 Teddington villagers appoint a committee to raise funds to build a new school for boys.
Queen Adelaide donates £100 and grants an annual subscription of £5 to school.
1832 30th January, Teddington Public School opens on the corner of Broad Street and Church Road with 51 boys.
1842 Separate Girls School opens.
1849 Infants Room opens
1868 New buildings added – then known as Teddington Public Schools
1870 School attendance becomes compulsory.
1876 New Infants school opens behind the original school buildings
1906 School’s name changes – initially proposal is ‘Church Road School’ then ‘St. Mary’s’ and finally agree upon St. Mary’s and St. Peter’s
1929 Schools reorganise. The girls, boys and infants schools merge into two -the Infants and Juniors schools.
1932 Centenary Celebrations.
1939 to 1945 Some damage to the School due to the bombing of central Teddington. Classes disrupted and some children evacuate to Wales.
1974 New school is built on a site between Church Road and Somerset Road. Formerly a whole street of Victorian houses and shops, the area was bombed in 1940 and greatly damaged by a V1 flying bomb in 1945.
1975 St. Mary’s and St. Peter’s is officially re-opened by the Bishop of Kensington. The old school buildings are demolished and a new church - Ss Peter and Paul - is built. The old school’s red brick wall on Broad Street is all that survives.
2000-1 New buildings and an atrium are added to St. Mary’s and St. Peter’s CE Primary School as the school expands to two form entry.
2007 The school commences celebrations of its 175th Anniversary or its ‘Terquasquicentennial’ – the oldest surviving school in Teddington.