The Twickenham Museum The history centre for Twickenham, Whitton, Teddington and the Hamptons
Click for Homepage Click for People Click for Places Click for Events Click for Research Click for Themed Exhibitions Click for Picture Archive Click for Timeline Click for children's section
Wednesday, 2 September 2015
Timeline image featuring Twining House sun dial
Go to beginning of Timeline Move to previous 10 Timeline events Move to next 10 Timeline events Go to end of Timeline



Other Events
Fortescue House School The boys from the Shaftesbury Homes move to Wellesley House (the Police Orphanange closes but many boys stay on) and rename the school 'Fortescue House School'.

Twickenham Technical College and School of Art opened.

Lady Eleanor Holles School
Founded in 1711 in the Ward of Cripplegate in the City of London. The school came, in 1937, to its present premises which were opened by Princess Alice, Duchess of Gloucester. See the school's web site.

Hampton Grammar School moved into new buildings in Hanworth Road. See the school's web site.

In 1939, when War broke out the Sacred Heart RC school became a first aid post and ambulance station. This meant all the pupils had to be evacuated to Wales. In 1944 the school was damaged by a V2 rocket, which fell in Fairfax Road but was re-opened in December 1945.

St Edmund's RC voluntary school opened with 100 children aged 5-8 years, in 3 small rooms behind the old St Edmund's church. See the school's web site.

1939 World War II began. The men were called up to join the armed services and married women were called back to resume teaching.
Newland House School ("Twickenham Grammar School") moves from Strawberry Hill Road to Waldegrave Park, Twickenham/Teddington. See the school's web site.
1944 1944 Education Act
The 1944 Education Act was a landmark act and provided free public education for all at three stages - primary, secondary, and further. Every child in the country would be educated according to age, ability and aptitude.

The school leaving age was raised to 15 and new schools were built, conditions were improved and more teachers were engaged.

The Act also led to the building of new 'red brick' universities and technical colleges. Many working class families sent their children to college for the first time.

1945 World War II came to an end.
Whitton Junior school opened in new buildings. It was officially opened 3 years later by the ballerina Dame Ninette de Valois.
1950s 1970s
Secondary education in the Borough was provided in Grammar and Secondary Modern schools with children selected by an IQ test known as the 11+.

Carlisle Infant School was founded. See the school's web site.

Edwina House School moves from St Peter's Road, St Margaret's to 12 Strafford Road, Twickenham and back again the following year

Chase Bridge primary school was built on former allotments. It had modern buildings with extensive playing fields and an outdoor swimming pool. See the school's web site.
The boys from Kneller school were moved to the new Whitton Secondary School and Kneller became an all girls school. See the Whitton School's web site.

The boys from Stanley Road School moved to the new all boys secondary school at Broom Road. See the school's web site.

A correspondent writes: "I attended Twickenham Tech, which also closed, with the pupils going to Broome Road. Temporarily however, we were all housed at Stanley Rd until Teddington Secondary School was ready. I remember this very clearly because we were all recruited to help with the move".

Jump to:
1500 1600 1700 1800 1850 1900 1950 2000
Your School

If your school is not on our timeline let us know.

Contact us with details.

Go to beginning of Timeline Move to previous 10 Timeline events Move to next 10 Timeline events Go to end of Timeline


Home | People | Places | Events | Research | Themes | Pictures | Timeline | Kids
Search | About | News | Contact | Site Map
Help | Credits | Links
Make a donation

© The Twickenham Museum