In the 16th century city merchants collaborated with godly preachers and established parish grammar schools to teach Latin and the scriptures.
Hampton School was founded when Robert Hammond left £7 in his will of 1556 to erect a small schoolroom in the churchyard.
Other endowments provided for 'an honest schoolmaster...to teach six poor children of the parish to write, to read and to know the catechism'.
Between 1612 and 1614 nearly half those sentenced to death in Middlesex who could read and write got off with a lesser punishment
By early in the 17th century up to three quarters of Londonís tradesmen and artisans and a half of craftsmen and shopkeepers could sign their name.
The earliest reference to a school in Twickenham is found in St Mary's church records. It was situated close to the Embankment and shortly afterwards a girls (maids) department opened, possibly in a separate building.
Dr Fuller teaching at a school on Twickenham Riverside, on the site of the house later known as Mount Lebanon
St Mary's Twickenham school closed or moved elsewhere.
St Mary's school Twickenham restarted with William Lawrence as schoolmaster.
The widow of Sir Orlando Bridgman leaves £40 to buy land for a school in Teddington.
Dames' schools established
During the 18th century Charitable Institutions particularly religious institutions (Anglican) led to the foundation of charity schools.
Richard Steele a dramatist and politician said
"(charity schools)...are the greatest Instances of publick Spirit the Age has produced."
A charity school was opened in 'Twittenham' based on the earlier St Mary's church school. 50 pupils were clothed and educated - the boys were taught to read and write and the girls were taught to read only (as they were expected to become servants). For part of the day the pupils were set to work to make money for the school and to pay the teacher.
Vestry Minutes for Monday 30 April:
Ordered that Mr George Pulford have the benefit & liberty for himselfe and his Schollars to sett in a pew in the Gallery in the South West corner from the staircase this wch sd Pew containeth in length from east to west about eleaven feete and in bredth from north to south about 2 feete and a halfe
Room for no more than 4/5 including Mr Pulford?
In 1706 and 1707 Elizabeth and Edward Cole, of the brewing family, each left £100 to St Mary's school in their wills.
Lady Eleanor Holles School
In her Will, The Lady Eleanor Holles directed that her executrix, Mistress Anne Watson, should use the surplus to found a school for young girls. In 1711 the school came into being in the Ward of Cripplegate in the City of London.
In the 1720s the West Charity provided for poor children from Twickenham to attend Christs Hospital School in the City of London. Children from Twickenham attend here even today.
Schoolroom added to Hampton old church
Dr Daniel Hewitt's School. School continued by his widow from 1738-54 when it moved to Harlington. "Daniel Hewet(sic) Gent" was buried in St Mary's on 21 December 1738
St Mary's boys' school moved to Crazy Lane now known as Bell Lane.
A charity school with 44 pupils in existence in Teddington
The Rev Colston Carr's School established in Brook House, London Road, Twickenham
About this year Mrs Ancell's School for girls was started in Orme House, Hampton. The school was continued in 1799 by Miss Truelove, joined by Miss Mence in 1802, closing in 1807.
Also, about this year Mr Jackson's School for boys was estsblished at The Hollies, in High Street, Hampton. In 1785 there were 85 pupils, some boarders
Mrs James's Ladies School in Savile House, Heath Lane, Twickenham
In the 1780s schools were not popular with poorer parents since attendance at school prevented their children from working and helping to support the family.
Sunday schools were set up and became very popular. The children learned to read and write and were able to work for their families during the rest of the week.
In the late 18th century private schools began to appear in Twickenham.
The Rev L.M. Stretch's Academy in Bath House, London Road, Twickenham Mrs Pomeroy's Female Boarding School in London RoadMiss Dutton's Female Boarding School, Fortescue House, London Road, Twickenham. Continued by Mr Dutton, Mr Lewis, Charlotte Clark, Dr Henry Nicholson, M Raymond de Vericour, Rev James Balfour, George Scott & Henry Dixon (boys only), & George Rumsey until 1869.
About this year Miss Berryman's School was started at The Old Grange. The school was continued by Mr & Mrs Francis Later named The Old Grange School it continued until 1910
School of Industry for girls, adjoining Bushy Park in Hampton. Reading, writing and needlework taught in order to prepare girls for domestic service
St Mary's School
The Anglican National Society set up a school in School Alley, Twickenham running from Church Street to the Embankment. This had 180 pupils and with one teacher helped by 'monitors' was organised to mass produce learning.
Mrs Thomas paid rates for a school in Twickenham
About this year the Rev William Church started Alfred House School in Alfred House (now Park & Barham Houses) in Hampton. He died in 1829 and the school was continued until about 1844 by Mrs Jenny Berryman
The Revd Pettingall's Twickenham Finishing School
2 Dames schools with 12 children in existence in Teddington
About this year Mr Walton's Academy was established between Church Street and High Street, Hampton, running for over 40 years
St Mary's & St Peter's C E Primary School is sponsored equally by the two Teddington parishes reflected in its name - St Mary with St Alban and Ss Peter & Paul with Ss Michael & George. Originally known as Teddington Public School, it occupied Victorian premises from 1832 at the Broad Street end of Church Road, before being rebuilt on the present site in l975.
Burgate House, for girls in Arragon Road, run by Mrs Curtis and Miss Brown.
For the first time a small grant was given by the Government to the Anglican and Roman Catholic Church schools. The improved schools became known as National Schools. Even at school, children might learn little ... one teacher could be in charge of 200 children and the average leaving age was 10 yrs.
The British School (the British & Foreign Schools Society) was established in conjunction with Lady Shaw's School (66 girls, 1d per week) on the site of the Congregational Church in 1st Cross Road, Twickenham Green
About this year Hill House School was started in Station Road, Hampton by Mr J E Mills. The school closed in 1854 and the house was demolished in 1902 to make way for the filter beds
Philip Sandoz's School in Arragon House, Church Street, Twickenham.
William Seymour, Master & Mrs Seymour, Mistress. Charity School, Waterside
Mrs Eliza Chowne's School for Young Ladies in Holly House, Twickenham (near Queen's Road today).
the Rev C Pettingall's Boys School in Savile House, Heath Lane, Twickenham.
Mrs Frances Robson. Walnut Tree House Academy, London Road, Twickenham
Archdeacon Cambridge School opened following the consecration of Holy Trinity Church on the Green.
The Ragged Schools were founded by The Ragged School Union under Lord Shaftesbury for children excluded from Church and charity schools by their "rude habits, filthy condition and their want of shoes and stockings".
Mr William Gittins (1800-53) Boys School in Bath House, London Road, Twickenham. School continued by Richard Merrett until 1873 or later.
Dr William Harcourt's Grosvenor boys' boarding school in Twickenham House, Heath Lane, Twickenham
Thomas Scale's Academy occupies Wellesley House. RD Blackmore is an unhappy teacher at the school.
The Misses Banwell's Grosvenor House Seminary, Grosvenor House, Grosvenor Road, Twickenham.
An elementary school opened in Whitton in the grounds of Kneller Hall.
Dr Harcourt's Grosvenor School, Twickenham House, Heath Lane, Twickeham
The Montpelier School opened in Orleans Road.
The Female Naval Orphan School (The Royal Naval Female School) founded at St Margarets House. The school moved to Haslemere in 1941.
There were 128 Ragged Schools in Middx with 11,632 pupils, but there are no records of Ragged Schools in Twickenham.
Mr George Rumsey's Boarding School, Fortescue House, London Road Twickenham recorded until 1873.Miss Marianne Carter's Ladies School, Twickenham GreenJoachin Valentia Curths' Boarding School, Heath Lane, TwickenhamMiss Sarah Ann Hayes' Ladies School, Montpelier Row, TwickenhamRichard Merret's Boarding School, Bath House, London Road, TwickenhamMrs Lucy Moore's Ladies School, Grosvenor HouseMrs Pleasure Parlett's Preparatory School, 2 Laburnum Villas, Popes GroveMrs Anne Stanford's Ladies School, Staines Road, Twickenham
The Rev James Wilkie's Boarding School, Lindon House, Twickenham
During the 19th century throughout the country the number of schools rose. In the 1860s in London there were 860 public day schools, 1700 private
schools, 700 Sunday schools and 100 evening schools.
But girls education lagged there were 3 endowed and 9 propriety schools for girls in the whole of London.
Education for the poor was wretched and in the hands of Dame schools and Church and charity schools.
The British School for Boys re-opened in the Baptist schoolroom on Twickenham Green (the Girls School was added in 1862).
Dr Clayton Palmer & 27 pupils (Twickenham School) in London Road
Mr William Hammond's Commercial School opened at what is now Penn's Place in Hampton. After his death in 1892 his daughters cntinued with the school for some years
St Maryís parochial (Church of England) school moved to Amyand Park Road. Parts of the present building date back to 1862.
Collis School was originally founded in 1865 by Miss Sarah Collis in a house in Park Road Teddington. It was originally named Park Road Girls School. In 1902 it was named Station Road School, in 1937 Christchurch County Primary School and in 1960 Collis Primary School. The Collis family managed the school up until 1928.
By 1870 there were 1000 children in Twickenham attending the National and parochial schools out of a possible 2500.
No Board Schools were set up in Twickenham as residents thought they would be more expensive than the National and parochial schools.
The Metropolitan and City Police Orphanage founded at Fortescue House, Twickenham
The Board Schools
The 1870 Education Act made elementary education compulsory for all to be provided by locally elected school boards and paid from local rates. For the first time publicly controlled primary schools were established across the whole country.
The grant to Church (Anglican and RC) schools was doubled to enable them to become part of the same system.
Sherlock Holmes said "The Board Schools. Lighthouses, my boy! Beacons of the future! Capsules, with hundreds of bright little seeds in each, out of which will spring the wiser, better England of the future."
Huntingdon House Boarding and Day School for Boys founded in Teddington. The school moved to Hampton Road, Twickenham as The Mall School in 1909.
The Post Office Directory for 1872 lists the following private schools:
Mrs Hannah Sharp.
Henry James Rost (preparatory), King Street.
Miss Ann Harriet Barker, Catherine Villa, London Road.
Miss J Biddle, 4 Connanmore Terrace.
Miss M Davies, London Road.
Dr Clayton Palmer & Son, Twickenham School (collegiate), London Road (boarding).
Miss Sarah Ann Hayes & Miss Larkworthy, 12 Montpelier Row.
Rev Thomas Slade Jones, Belmont (grammar).
Thomas Latham (commercial), Grosvenor Road.
Mrs Lucy Forbes White, York Lodge, Richmond Road.
Miss Walker, Lansdowne Villa, Victoria Road,.
Miss Matilda Smith, Teddington Road, Hampton Wick.
Mrs Hannah Stevens, High Street, Hampton.
Miss S E Collis, Station Road, Teddington.
The Metropolitan and City Police Orphanage moves from Fortescue House, Twickenham, to Wellesley House in the Hampton Road.
St Mark's School in Schoolhouse Lane in Teddington
The Shaftesbury Homes for boys moves into the original Fortescue House in London Road.
New Grammar (Latin) School established in Upper Sunbury Road. Moved to Hanworth Road in 1939
Mrs Rabone, Heathfield School, Heathfield North, Twickenham
Sacred Heart RC School - known as St Mark's
The school was founded in Chantry House in Fairfax Road in 1883. Chantry House still exists but it has recently been converted into a home. Originally the ground floor was the school and the first floor was the local church.
Hampton Infant School
The school had its beginning in 1883 when it was part of a school for girls and infants. In January 1969 staff and children transferred from Hampton Station Infant School to the present building in Ripley Road and the school was renamed Hampton Infant School.
The British School re-opened in the Congregational Church in 1st Cross Road, Twickenham Green: 116 pupils aged 4-13 paying 4d per week.
Roman Catholic School in Fairfax Road, Teddington, open
St Paul's Convent School. 252 Kingston Road Teddington. Opened by the Sisters of Charity of St Paul. The convent catered for Kindergarten. junior and senior girls. it took boys until the age of seven. The building was badly damaged when a bomb fell in Fairfax Road during WW2 and after the war the senior department and boarding was discontinued. A prep school flourished until 1961 when the sisters decided to use the building to train their young sisters.
Twickenham High School & School of Music, 61-3 Twickenham Green. Miss Harris & MrsChapman Principals
J Mackrell, Collegiate School in Queen's Road, Twickenham.
Mrs Edward Smith, High School, St Margarets
Pembroke House Schoola boys' preparatory school started by Mr J F Ellis in Broad Lane, Hampton. The school closed in 1966
St James RC School opened in Grosvenor Road, central Twickenham.
St Stephen's CE Junior
The school is still on its original site in Winchester Road which was formerly Turks Road.
Newland House School was founded in Newland House in Oak Lane, Twickenham, being, possibly, first named Amyand House School. The school moved to Strawberry Hill Road in about 1930 and then to Waldegrave Park in 1945 when it was also known as Twickenham Grammar School
The Gordon House Girls Home established at Gordon House, St Margarets. A certified Industrial School for 60 girls founded by the London School Board. The schoolclosed in 1921 and the buildings were taken over by The Royal Naval Female School
Victoria School in Prince's Road, Teddington
Twickenham College for Girls, 39 Amyand Park Road. Miss Waghorne, Principal.
Queens College, 9, 11 & 13 Queens Road, Twickenham. Mrs W H Stanley Mansfield, Principal.
1902 Education Act
This Act abolished school boards and gave power to provide both primary and secondary education to elected County Councils and to certain Borough councils.
This led to a wider educational outlook and a general improvement in schools.
In June 1903 the first meeting of the new Education Committee for Twickenham took place and School Managers were appointed. A programme of new school building began.
Trafalgar Primary School was opened in Third Cross Road. Drill and PE were taken in the 'marching corridors'. See the school's web site.
Stanley Junior and Infant School
The school building was completed in 1907 and opened as Hampton Council School with separate departments for boy and girls. The two different entrances with their individual signs may be seen as you enter the building. See the school's web site.
Twickenham County School for Girls established in Clifden Road, Twickenham.The Mall School, an independent preparatory school for boys moves to the Hampton Road from Teddington (previously the Huntingdon House Boarding and Day School in Teddington from 1872). See the school's web site.
Arrangements were made for one third of the pupils at Hampton Grammar School to come from Twickenham.
Nelson Infant School was a pleasant rural school housed in a large hut in Nelson Road. It took the 'overflow' of children from the Church School in the grounds of Kneller Hall.
Orleans Council School was opened off Richmond Road.
Orleans Council School became Orleans Infant School. There were 152 children on the register. See the school's web site.
St Catherine's School opened in Vicarage Road, Twickenham. School moved to Popes Grove in 1916 and then to Popes Villa in 1919. See the school's web site.
World War One began. Many male teachers were posted to the war front. Their places were taken by female teachers.
The log book for St Stephen's School on November 11 1918 notes:
"...children were told of the Armistice and sang the National Anthem and gave three hearty cheers for King, Navy and Army."
World War One ended with the signing of the Armistice - the peace treaty.
1918 Education Act
This Act raised the school leaving age to 14 and more schools were opened as a result.
A hard winter followed the end of the war. On February 6th 1919 the log book of St James's RC School notes:
"Today the attendance was very poor owing to the intensely cold weather. Many of the children were away owing to the want of boots."
In the summer Peace Celebrations were held for all schoolchildren in Marble Hill Park. The Council provided tea and 'many means of amusements'.
From the log book of Nelson Infant School - the school hut had become "a long noisy room, divided by two heavy curtains...caused many children to sit in semi-darkness even on bright days."
Denmead school first opened its doors to two pupils, Philip James and his friend Brian Fairley. Philip's father was a teacher at Hampton and he took his son out of school to be educated at home. Both Philip and Brian were left handed which at that time was thought to be a disability. In 1999 Denmead merged with the Hampton School Foundation.
Hampton Hill Junior
The public elementary school was opened on its present site on the corner of Windmill Road and St Jame's Avenue in 1928. See the school's web site.
The new buildings for Nelson Infant School were completed. See the school's web site.
Thames Valley Grammar School for boys and girls was opened as one of the very few mixed secondary schools in the country at that time. It is now the Waldegrave School for Girls. See the school's web site.
Heathfield Elementary School opened with 3 classrooms for 90 pupils. See the school's web site.
Twickenham Preparatory School founded by Mrs Munn, in Clifden Road, Twickenham. The school moved to Popes Grove in 1938
Navarre School for Girls and Boys, 20 First Cross Road, Twickenham (Miss Emily Hart, Principal). This school was in all or a part of The Institute which had been built for the use of the parishioners of Holy Trinity Church. It closed some time after the end of World War II and in 1969 became the home of the re-formed Twickenham Preparatory School
Kneller School for girls and boys was opened in the Meadway.
The foundation stone for Bishop Perrin CE school was laid in 1935 by the widow of Bishop Perrin, the Bishop of Willesden and Assistant Bishop of London. The school opened in 1936 with 174 children. See the school's web site.
Rectory Farm Senior Secondary School opened in Hampton. It is now called the Hampton Community College
Fortescue House School The boys from the Shaftesbury Homes move to Wellesley House (the Police Orphanange closes but many boys stay on) and rename the school 'Fortescue House School'.
Twickenham Technical College and School of Art opened.
Lady Eleanor Holles School
Founded in 1711 in the Ward of Cripplegate in the City of London. The school came, in 1937, to its present premises which were opened by Princess Alice, Duchess of Gloucester. See the school's web site.
Hampton Grammar School moved into new buildings in Hanworth Road. See the school's web site.
In 1939, when War broke out the Sacred Heart RC school became a first aid post and ambulance station. This meant all the pupils had to be evacuated to Wales. In 1944 the school was damaged by a V2 rocket, which fell in Fairfax Road but was re-opened in December 1945.
St Edmund's RC voluntary school opened with 100 children aged 5-8 years, in 3 small rooms behind the old St Edmund's church. See the school's web site.
World War II began. The men were called up to join the armed services and married women were called back to resume teaching.
Newland House School ("Twickenham Grammar School") moves from Strawberry Hill Road to Waldegrave Park, Twickenham/Teddington. See the school's web site.
1944 Education Act
The 1944 Education Act was a landmark act and provided free public education for all at three stages - primary, secondary, and further. Every child in the country would be educated according to age, ability and aptitude.
The school leaving age was raised to 15 and new schools were built, conditions were improved and more teachers were engaged.
The Act also led to the building of new 'red brick' universities and technical colleges. Many working class families sent their children to college for the first time.
World War II came to an end.
Whitton Junior school opened in new buildings. It was officially opened 3 years later by the ballerina Dame Ninette de Valois.
1950s - 1970s
Secondary education in the Borough was provided in Grammar and Secondary Modern schools with children selected by an IQ test known as the 11+.
Carlisle Infant School was founded. See the school's web site.
Edwina House School moves from St Peter's Road, St Margaret's to 12 Strafford Road, Twickenham and back again the following year
Chase Bridge primary school was built on former allotments. It had modern buildings with extensive playing fields and an outdoor swimming pool. See the school's web site.
The boys from Kneller school were moved to the new Whitton Secondary School (now Twickenham Academy) and Kneller became an all girls school. See Twickenham Academy's web site.
The boys from Stanley Road School moved to the new all boys secondary school at Broom Road. See the school's web site.
A correspondent writes: "I attended Twickenham Tech, which also closed, with the pupils going to Broome Road. Temporarily however, we were all housed at Stanley Rd until Teddington Secondary School was ready. I remember this very clearly because we were all recruited to help with the move".
St John the Baptist CE Junior School was founded. See the school's web site.
Hampton Wick Infant School
The school was built in 1964 to provide three classrooms, cloakrooms, hall, kitchen and offices. In 1969 a new wing was added. See the school's web site.
Fortescue House School in the Hampton Road, Twickenham closes.
Buckingham Infant and Junior School was founded.
Waldegrave School for Girls was founded by merging Twickenham County School and Kneller School both for girls. The merged school moved into the buildings of Thames Valley School. See the school's web site.Richmond upon Thames 6th Form College was founded taking over the old Technical College site. See the college's web site.
Twickenham Preparatory School established at The Baptist Church Hall on Twickenham Green. Moves to Beveree in Hampton in 1980.
Hampton Infant School founded.
Twickenham Preparatory School moves to Beveree in Hampton. See the school's web site.
The National Curriculum was introduced.
St James Independent School for Boys moves to Popes Villa, Cross Deep, Twickenham.
The Thames Valley Grammar School reorganised as the Waldegrave School for Girls
An Independent Co-Educational school established at Hampton Court House. See the school's web site.
St James' Independent School moves to Ashford. The building becomes occupied by Radnor House School.