In 1900, the fashion ysl replica Paris world expo. Under the Eiffel Tower, when the handover in the new century, the Swiss watch OMEGA style series with its hermes replica handbags excellent performance won the highest honor awarded by the international jury member clubs with fame spreading far celine replica handbags and wide, and the Greek temple (Greek Temple) gold carved table is one of. at that time, the OMEGA watch the annual output 640-460 Exam Questions two hundred thousand, one thousand employees, is a Swiss manufacturer come first on the list tab.

The Twickenham Museum : Hampton & Hampton Hill
The Twickenham Museum The history centre for Twickenham, Whitton, Teddington and the Hamptons
Click for Homepage Click for People Click for Places Click for Events Click for Research Click for Themed Exhibitions Click for Picture Archive Click for Timeline Click for children's section
Wednesday, 1 October 2014
Tours banner showing detail from 'Glover' map
Hampton & Hampton Hill
Flint axe
Flint axe
There have been a number of finds of flint and bone tools and weapons from the Mesolithic period (about 7000BC) at Hampton, particularly during the housing development at the Cannon Field.
Hampton, and Hampton Hill, together with Hampton Wick, were part of a single Anglo-Saxon parish. At the time of the Domesday survey in 1086 Hampton was described as Hamntone. This name is believe to derive from the Anglo-Saxon words meaning the settlement in the bend of the river. After the Norman Conquest in 1066, Hampton Town developed about a mile upstream from the original settlement near Hampton Court, where St Mary's Church now stands.
Hampton Wick formed its own Local Board in 1863, but Hampton did not form a Board until 1890 and both became Urban District Councils in 1895.

 
Hampton Hill High Street
Hampton Hill High Street
The development of Hampton was particularly influenced by the arrival of the Water Companies in the 1850s and the railway in 1864. These changes also led to an influx of workers who were housed in the area then known as The Common. This area became known as New Hampton and then the name was changed to Hampton Hill in 1890. The physical infrastructure of the area was greatly improved after the Local Boards were formed. Those bodies and the later UDCs, had powers to borrow money for capital projects, unlike the old Church Vestry.
 
 
 
 
 
Other Themes

Villages on the River

People at Work

People at Play

Villages into Towns

Shopping Streets

Lost Houses

Then and Now

Down by the Riverside

Sporting History

Public Houses

Road Rail and River
 


TOP

Home | People | Places | Events | Research | Themes | Pictures | Timeline | Kids
Search | About | News | Newsletter | Contact | Site Map
Help | Credits | Links
Make a donation

© The Twickenham Museum