The Twickenham Museum The history centre for Twickenham, Whitton, Teddington and the Hamptons
Click for Homepage Click for People Click for Places Click for Events Click for Research Click for Themed Exhibitions Click for Picture Archive Click for Timeline Click for children's section
Thursday, 27 November 2014
Tours banner showing detail from 'Glover' map
Hampton Wick
St John's Church, Hampton Wick, 1831
St John's Church, Hampton Wick, 1831
Evidence of Roman occupation was found when a large amount of pottery was discovered in Lower Teddington Road in 1992.
The word wick could denote a dairy farm, but recent research suggests that it could mean trading place, as in Ipswich or Harwich.
(c1219) between Kingston and Hampton Wick replaced a ford known to have been there in Roman times.
The building of nearby produced employment and encouraged the growth of inns and shops serving the palace. Hampton Wick, however, was restricted by Bushy Park, Hampton Court Park and the Thames.

 
Widening of the High Street, 1902
Widening of the High Street, 1902
In 1831 St Mary's church at Hampton was no longer large enough to accommodate all the parishioners and so was rebuilt. This gave an opportunity to Hampton Wick, who had long been in dispute with Hampton, to build their own church: St John's. The break was complete when Hampton Wick formed its own Local Board in 1863.
The greatest change to the appearance of the High Street in Hampton Wick was caused by the coming of the trams. In 1902 double tram tracks were laid and 21 buildings were demolished for road widening.
 
 
 
 
 
Other Themes

Villages on the River

People at Work

People at Play

Villages into Towns

Shopping Streets

Lost Houses

Then and Now

Down by the Riverside

Sporting History

Public Houses

Road Rail and River
 


TOP

Home | People | Places | Events | Research | Themes | Pictures | Timeline | Kids
Search | About | News | Newsletter | Contact | Site Map
Help | Credits | Links
Make a donation

© The Twickenham Museum