The Twickenham Museum
Places : Hampton

The Feathers, Hampton
Earliest surviving building in Hampton

The Feathers, Hampton

A church house was later leased as an Inn (with income to the parish charities) and known as THE FEATHERS or FEATHERS INN. Part of the building was previously known as SOUTH VIEW (modern-day 2 and 4 Thames Street). This is now divided into three cottages: GARRICK COTTAGE, FEATHERS COTTAGE and RIVER COTTAGE, 2, 4 and 6 Thames Street, Hampton, respectively.

The building is a five-bay, timber framed, queen-post roofed building, probably dating from c1540 with a later frontage and rear extensions. Now divided into three cottages.

1548 “Churchehowse” in Chantry Certificate of 1548
c1639 Edward Bosworth, having children & probably landlord of Inn
1658 Feathers in occupation of Edward Bosworth
6 Hearths
1690 Admission of new parochial trustees
1736 Admission of new parochial trustees
1775 Admission of new parochial trustees
1792 Ceases to be an Inn, divided into tenements & blacksmith's yard
1807 Admission of new parochial trustees
c1874-1902 Occupation of “South View” by Henry Ripley, Hampton historian
c1922 Blacksmith shed demolished. The Studio (1 Church St) built
1973 Parochial trustees sell The Feathers at auction
1973 L G Flynn buys whole property (No. 6 already let)
1975 Mr and Mrs Tinker buy No. 4 (Feathers Cottage)
1977 Mr G Harwood buys No. 2 (Garrick Cottage)
1978 John and Sharman Sheaf buy No. 4 (Feathers Cottage)


Bernard Garside, People and Homes in Hampton in the 16th & 17th centuries, 1956
John Sheaf, A short history of “The Feathers”, Hampton, 1992 (typescript in LBRUT Local Studies Library)

back to top