The Twickenham Museum
Places : Hampton

Old Farm House
16th century house, now part of Nursery Lands Estate

Old Farm House, Hampton Nurserylands

Old Farm House was previously called Newhouse, later Newhouse Farm, and also Chalk Farm, Tangley Park Farm, Marling Park Estate and The Old House. It was a much altered two-storey building, almost certainly rebuilt, with attics and extensions, demolished in the 1960s, standing in extensive lands.

c. 1590 John Newdigate has Newhouse share in common meadow
1610 "Newhouse" mentioned on Speed's version (1610) of Norden's map
1664 Peter Alet, 7 Hearths
1841 William Deacon, tenant, & wife Martha
1851 Edwin Collins, tenant, farming 250 acres
1863 Mr Grover of Tangley Park Farm advertised plots of land for sale
1867 Royal Hotel built, never used as such
1869 Royal Hotel became Female Orphan Home
1936 Demolished except for hall
1883 Sold to Estate Investment and Villa Farm Company. Only a few houses built
c. 1889 Bought by members of Marling family (further homes built). Renamed Marling Park Estate
1960s Old Farm House demolished
1973-80s 1700 homes built on remaining portion of estate (Nursery Lands)

Further reading:

  • Bernard Garside, Lanes and Fields of Hampton Town during the 17c, 1953
  • Hampton in the nineteenth century, Borough of Twickenham Local History Society Paper No27, 1973 & 1993 (2nd edition)
  • John Sheaf and Ken Howe, Hampton and Teddington Past, Historical Publications Ltd, 1995

  • back to top