The Twickenham Museum
Places : Hampton

Grove House
100 High Street, now used as offices

An early photograph of Grove House
Grove House, 100 High Street, Hampton, was formerly known as the Brick House, then The Grove or Grove House. It is a large brick-built house of two storeys with extensions, dating from the second half of the 17th century and now used as offices. It has (or had) a very ornate music room, sometimes mistakenly referred to as a "mosque", built in the style of the Alhambra in Spain. 1669 The Brick house "late built of bricks" in Manor books 1782 Sir Archibald Edmonstone, 1st Bt 1801 Neil Benjamin Edmonstone, 4th son Sir Charles Edmonstone, 2nd Bt 1819 Bought by Samuel Shuker (1754-1822) for £1152 1820 House sold for £2500 1892 Charles James Stutfield (d 1926). Music room added 1927 House sold 1950 Planning application led to new Hampton Residents Assn. 1966 Plan to demolish & build houses rejected. Converted to offices
The music room


  • G D Heath, Hampton in the nineteenth century, Borough of Twickenham Local History Society Paper No. 27, 1973 & 1993 (2nd edition)
  • G D Heath, A Chronicle of Hampton 1956-1981, 1981

  • back to top