The word wick could denote a dairy farm ...
In 1831 St Mary's church at Hampton was no longer large enough to accommodate all the parishioners and so was rebuilt. This gave an opportunity to Hampton Wick, who had long been in dispute with Hampton, to build their own church: St John's. The break was complete when Hampton Wick formed its own Local Board in 1863.
The greatest change to the appearance of the High Street in Hampton Wick was caused by the coming of the trams. In 1902 double tram tracks were laid and 21 buildings were demolished for road widening.