The Railways led to much development and a huge increase in population.
In the mid-19th century the Railways arrived: at Twickenham in 1848, Hampton Court in 1849, Hampton Wick and Teddington in 1863 and Hampton in 1864. The Railways led to much development and a huge increase in population. The increase in population caused by the Railways led, in due course, to the expansion of the tramways and trams arrived locally in 1902 and 1903. Fulwell tram depot was very large, covering over 5 acres and was a major local employer. The 'car shed' contained 18 tracks which could accommodate 189 trams. The depot was converted to accommodate trolleybuses between 1931 and 1935 and althoughnce the last trolleybus ran in 1962 continues to operate with diesel buses.
Cars have been seen on local roads since the late 1890's. They provided employment for chauffeurs and mechanics as well as for petrol sales and repairs. Later, delivery vans would replace the horse and cart.