Livelihoods from the River
Until the 18th century local roads were little more than dirt tracks, increasingly unsuitable for heavy goods, so leading to increased river traffic.
Until the 18th century local roads were little more than dirt tracks, increasingly unsuitable for heavy goods, so leading to increased river traffic. At Twickenham the wharves at the foot of Church Lane and Wharf Lane were flanked by warehouses and the workshops of trades sited to receive goods from river barges
Osiers were cultivated for basket making on a number of local islands until late Victorian times: Platt's Eyot at Hampton was used in this way until around 1884. Shortly afterwards boat building was established on this island, firstly by Immisch and Co who built electric canoes and launches powered by accumulators and then by Thornycroft's who built fast naval craft.
Other islands provided places of entertainment: Eel Pie Island at Twickenham housed a bowling alley and later an Inn at least from 1737. Tagg’s Island at Hampton had an hotel in 1872, re-built in 1913 as the Karsino entertainment complex.