The Twickenham Museum
Exhibitions : Public Houses

Whitton Pubs
There may have been an early pub on Kneller Rd in the 17th century.

The White Hart. The poster says 'Lloyd George squeals. So do Chinese pigs'
The licensed victuallers register records the licensees of three premises in Whitton in the 18th century. John Underwood, licensee of The White Hart, is listed in 1722 although the premises are not named that year. The White Hart inn is on the south side of Kneller Road which was once a highway between Hounslow and Twickenham. In 1635 the premises were a cottage and in 1685 a survey of Middlesex public houses shows a property which is probably this one with three letting bedrooms for hire and stabling for twelve horses. The business is still trading today at 121 Kneller Road and the premises include 17th century elements with later 'wings' on either side.
The Duke of Cambridge with an outing about to leave

The Red Lion first appears in the licensed victuallers records of 1726. In the 19th century it was on the east side of Nelson Road but whether this was the site of the original Red Lyon is not known. It ceased trading as a public house in the 1930s and was used for several purposes including a bank before it was demolished in the 1950s. The third licensed establishment was The Bullhead or Bulls Head. A licence was granted in 1737 but its location is uncertain.

The Admiral Nelson decorated for the coronation of George V in 1911

Nelson Road was probably built by 1800, but may already have been a track across Hounslow Heath. The Admiral Nelson opened as a beer house before 1840 and was rebuilt in the 1930s. The Duke of Cambridge in Kneller Road was built c1850 as a cottage and was a beer house from 1857. This was the same year the military school of music was established at Kneller Hall, providing plenty of ready-made customers. Louis Kyezor, a philanthropic Jewish businessman, built The Prince Albert beer house on the Hounslow Road, now Nos 54-56, in c1855.

An elevation of the Winning Post, Chertsey Road from a plan of 1935

The Winning Post on the Chertsey Road was built in about 1932 with a large car park to attract clients from the new road. The Duke of York in Powder Mill Lane was built in 1936 in this newly developing location. It was named after an older drinking house in London Road, Twickenham, which closed earlier when the proprietor transferred his business.

back to top