Twickenham in 1914
Large areas of Twickenham were undeveloped in 1914.
The north west of Twickenham, north of the railway line, was largely undeveloped in 1914. The rugby stadium (see map to the right) had only recently opened in 1909. The Sewage Works occupied land near the railway line which is now partially the site of the modern Stoop rugby ground, and Marsh Farm (later the site of the Tertiary College) was nearby. Heathfield North and Heathfield South were surrounded by fields and orchards. Grimwood Road, Latham Road and March Road had all been built but a nursery still occupied a nearby site. The Chertsey Road, of course, was still in the future.
Staying north of the railway lines where London Road went to the Isleworth/Hounslow border at Ivy Bridge there was still much open land on either side, on part of which the Chertsey Road was destined to be built. Looking to the north east of the area and into St Margaret's there was still a scattering of nurseries in existence at this time.
The railway line from St Margaret's Station (left) to Richmond railway bridge runs diagonally across this area. South of the railway Twickenham Park and its former land occupy much of the area and contain some very large houses, particularly in Riverdale Road and nearby roads. Park House, now the site of Park House Gardens, was built in the 1820s, when Twickenham Park was being broken up, and was demolished in 1929. Richmond Road, leading to Richmond Bridge is marked on another map in the exhibition with tram tracks although the trams stopped before reaching the bridge itself.
The area of East Twickenham, below St Margaret's Road and its continuation as the Richmond Road, is dominated by the former land of Cambridge Park and Cambridge House near the river, and by Marble Hill Park. Meadowbank and Meadowside were large houses built on land split off from the Cambridge Park land. Next to Marble Hill Park was Orleans House demolished in 1926 for gravel extraction from the grounds although the Octagon Room and Stables survive as Orleans House Gallery.
On the west side of Twickenham, the border between Twickenham and Whitton is formed by the River Crane. Running roughly parallel with the Crane is the Staines Road. In 1914 the area below Staines Road , from Fifth Cross Road eastwards, was mainly built up and the area above the Staines Road less so with remnants of the large houses and their land that once occupied this area. The most prominent of these was Fulwell Park (above) which was sold in 1934 and later demolished for housing. Fifth Cross Road at this time was only built on its eastern side.
Going eastwards towards Twickenham, The Green was, and is, the dominant feature of this part of West Twickenham with Holy Trinity Church beside it. The original Archdeacon Cambridge's School, behind the Church, was used until 1968. Gifford Lodge may have dated from the late 17c and was substantially remodelled in 1822. It was burnt down in 1963 and there is now a new building in the grounds. Going northwards, and just below the railway line, the Electricity Works are marked; this Edwin Road power station had begun to supply Twickenham with electricity on 21st July 1902.
The railway line is a dominant feature in this part of West Twickenham as it sweeps down from Twickenham towards Strawberry Hill. Heath Road, complete with tram lines, runs across one of the others maps in the exhibition. There are still several large houses on the south side of the western end of Heath Road, including Savile House, although the north side was lined with shops.
The Metropolitan and City Police Orphanage was prominent in the Hampton Road. Wellesley Road was laid out but mainly not yet built and Spencer Road was only partially built. Sixth Cross Road is shown running through fields on other maps in the exhibition and Blackmoor Farm (just over the border in neighbouring Teddington and now the site of Squire's Garden Centre) sits beside it.
Turning to central Twickenham there are tram tracks indicated on Heath Road, King Street, London Road, York Street and Richmond Road. Clifden House sat alongside Heath Road on the corner of Clifden Road, until it was demolished in 1974. Fortescue House is prominent in London Road (later replaced by the Regal Cinema and in turn by Regal House). On the other side of London Road was Twickenham Junction as the railway station was then called. At this time it was located on the western side of London Road until it was rebuilt in 1954 on the eastern side.
The map of central Twickenham includes Eel Pie Island then with the Island Hotel at its centre. Of course, then as now, Church Street, St Mary's Church and York House are in the centre. Oak Lane Cemetery was prominent in Oak Lane and opposite was Newland House then the site of the school that is now located in Waldegrave Road; nearby was St John's Hospital. St Mary's School is at the corner of Arragon Road and Amyand Park Road having opened in 1862.
Turning towards Strawberry Hill the map (see other maps in exhibition) is dominated by the railway line running down from Twickenham to Strawberry Hill station and, in particular, the sidings of Strawberry Hill depot that had been built in 1897 and enlarged in 1906. There are a few large houses at the eastern end of Wellesley Road including Thurnby but it is mainly unbuilt. The Elms was a large house at the corner of Tower Road and Strawberry Hill Road but there were almost no buildings on the north side of Tower Road.
Closer to the riverside, the house and land of Strawberry Hill is marked as “The Mansion” on the map and St Mary's College was still in the future. Radnor House (left) and its gardens are one of a number of large riverside properties that existed at this time. The house was destroyed by a bomb in September 1940 and Radnor Gardens recreation ground now incorporates the site. A proposed road called Maitland Gardens (built as Cross Deep Gardens) off Cross Deep, is on the map (but not yet built). Nearby is Pope's Villa, then a private house, which has been a school since 1919. Poulett Lodge then occupied its huge riverside garden. It was demolished in 1933 and replaced by Thames Eyot flats.