Teddington in 1914
Tedding was dominated by trams and trains.
At this time there were glasshouses and a nursery in Teddington Park Road. Stanley Road is marked with tram lines. There was a Wax and Candle factory in Waldegrave Road; the site was later used by the Paint Research Association and has recently been redeveloped.
Broad Street (left) is marked with tram lines that have come down Stanley Road and go on to join High Street. A nursery with glasshouses marks the site where the Teddington Memorial Hospital was later built. The buildings of the National Physical Laboratory (NPL) are clustered near Bushy Park but much of the site later used by the NPL (ie off Hampton Road and behind the nursery later used by the Hospital) was still not built on at this time.
In the north eastern corner of Teddington the house Teddington Grove (right) has a very large plot which was later built on as Grove Terrace, Grove Gardens and The Grove. The Manor House had gone by the time of the 1912-14 map (St Alban's Gardens now occupies the site) and most of the former estate built over after it had been broken up in 1862, although there was still much land in Cambridge Road not yet built on. Along Twickenham Road there was a Motor Works and Timber Yard and some large houses, most of which have been replaced in more recent times by riverside blocks of flats.
To the east of the railway line High Street (left) was complete with tram lines and the Station was then called Teddington and Bushy Park Station. The Cedars was then a large property with land off High Street. Cedar Road was only partly built up at this time and further houses and the car park at the corner of the road now occupy this land.
St Alban's Church (now 'The Landmark') was located on the eastern end of High Street opposite St Mary's Church, with Udney Hall just below. The tram route then curled round St Alban's Church and turned 90 degrees down the Kingston Road towards Hampton Wick. Udney Farm and surrounding land dominate the south east part of the area (now utilised by Collis Primary School and surrounding roads.
Turning to the riverside, the area was dominated by Broom Road which followed the line of the sweeping bend of the River Thames. Kingston Road runs approximately parallel with Broom Road. Between these two roads much land had been built on but there was still undeveloped land eg Culcheth Hall on the yet to be built part of St Winifreds Road. Broom Road still had a great many large properties and a Sewage Works where Teddington School was to be located. Some of these larger properties later became the sites of Teddington Film Studios and also the Lensbury Club.
The southern edge of Teddington borders Hampton Wick. The two major features in this area are the Gasworks with its distinct circular gas holders and Normansfield Hospital, now converted to housing.