Hampton Hill in 1914
Many large houses have been demolished and replaced with flats.
The North western corner of Hampton Hill adjoins Hampton at the Uxbridge Road which forms much of the southern boundary It is joined by three other roads, also running in the direction towards Hanworth. These are, from north to south, Burtons Road, Park Road and Windmill Road. Burtons Road, formerly Burtons Lane, also forms the boundary between Hampton Hill and Teddington. St James's Road has St James's Church, at the corner with Park Road, and some very large houses on enormous plots at this time. Many of these have now been replaced by blocks of flats sometimes with the same name as the original house, or subdivided for additional housing. St James's Avenue is only partially built and there is a nursery, beside the railway line, to the east of the part that then existed.
Park Road runs across the northern end of Hampton Hill, parallel to, and south of, the much older Burtons Road, then crosses High Street and becomes Hampton Road. The parade of shops on the southern side of Hampton Road near the corner with High Street was not yet built in 1914. Park Road also contained some very large house and plots; many have since been built on, subdivided or rebuilt with flats or other housing. The border between Hampton Hill and Teddington cuts across the Hampton Road just in front of The Roebuck (which is in Teddington) and leaves Bushy Park Gardens in Hampton Hill before turning south across Bushy Park.
The central part of Hampton Hill, on other maps in the exhibition, is dominated by the railway lines, sunk in a cutting (left), as they go north/south across the map. Running roughly parallel is High Street complete with tram lines. In a southerly direction the trams went towards Hampton and Hampton Court and in the opposite direction towards Fulwell, Twickenham and beyond. The trams had started in 1903 and ran until the 1930s when they were replaced by trolleybuses.
The southern part of High Street is the least changed and looks very similar today. The Pantile Bridge (right) which crosses the Longford River near the southern end of High Street had just been widened (in 1910), as shown here, to accommodate double tram tracks. The drill hall which opened in the middle of 1914 is not shown on the relevant section of the map. It was at the southern end of High Street, later becoming Four Winds Press and has now been considerably extended and is called Network House.