The Twickenham Museum
Research: Houses of local interest and their occupiers

Pope's Villa

Cross Deep, Twickenham

1718 Thomas Vernon (cottages)
1719 Alexander Pope (1688-1744)
1720 Villa built
1733 Portico added
1745 Sir William Stanhope (1702-1772)
1758 House remodelled & extended
1772 Welbore Ellis (1713-1802), son-in-law
1802 Philip Stanhope, Earl of Chesterfield, reversion
1804 Sir John Briscoe (d1805)
1805 Lady Briscoe
1807 Baroness Howe of Langar (1762-1835)
1808 Villa demolished
New Villa built next door
1812 Sir Wathen Waller (1769-1853), 2nd husband
1840 Partial demolition of new villa; (see Ryan House & River Deep)
1842 Thomas Young, Tea Merchant (d1851); new Villa built
1852 William Horsley
1860 *George Smith Esq;
*Joseph Stearns Esq
1864 *Henry Balfour
1865 *Mrs Balfour
Charles Aird
1873 Henry Labouchère (1831-1912)
1905 ?Aero engine manufacturer in railway arch
1919 The Sisters of Mercy, St Catherine's School
1996 St James Independent School for Boys
2011 Radnor House School Independent School
Pope's Villa in 1725. Detail from Peter Tillemans' 'A Prospect of Twickenham'
part of the Villa as rebuilt by Baroness Howe
Pope's Villa as rebuilt in 1845

Note: * signifies tenant or lessee of property, where known. Many of the dates noted are "spot" dates taken from rate books, directories, Enclosure Award, maps, or other sources and may not indicate arrival or departure of an occupier. Occupation is shown chronologically although some exact dates have not yet been ascertained.