The Twickenham Museum
Research: Houses of local interest and their occupiers

Southend House

Montpelier Row (no6, below the chapel), Twickenham

c1721 House built and possibly occupied by Captain John Gray (d1738)
1733 *Thomas Stonor (1710-1772)
1741 Mr Adams
1746 *The Earl of Bute (1713-92)
1749 Lady Bruce
1753 Lady Buchan
1758 Esq Wolaston
1761 *John Gilbert, Archbishop of York (d1761)
1761 George Parker, Lord Macclesfield (c1696-1764), 5th Earl
1764 ?Lady Macclesfield, Dorothy née Nesbitt (d1799)
1765 Lady Stowel
1767 Lady Stowel
1769 Lord Hilsborough
1774 Bromley
1776 Bromley or occupier
1782 late Bromley
1789 Mr Slingsby, from RIVERSIDE (had bought Heath Lane Lodge estate)
1792 John Budgen Esq, from GROSVENOR HOUSE
1813 ?Sargent Esq
1818 Elizabeth Sackville Glyn, trustee under the will of Henry Spencer
1858 Bridge Taylor
1860 Rev Henry Parish
1861 Edmund Wingrove
1865 Edmund Wingrove
1872 E H Winslow, Calcutta Merchant
1882 Mrs Behr, mother of Fritz, inventor of the monorail
1902 House sold by Chancellor & Sons
1939 *Walter de la Mare
Leslie Sedgwick
Plan of the property in 1902

Note: * signifies tenant or lessee of property, where known. Many of the dates noted are "spot" dates taken from rate books, directories, Enclosure Award, maps, or other sources and may not indicate arrival or departure of an occupier. Occupation is shown chronologically although some exact dates have not yet been ascertained.