The Twickenham Museum
Research: Houses of local interest and their occupiers

Twickenham House

Heath Lane south side, Twickenham

1708 The Lady Matthews (d 1730)
1732 Captain Newton
1741 Captain Newton's heirs
1743 ?Mr Ashbourne
1746 John, 4th Marquis of Tweeddale (1695-1762), Master of the Ordnance of Scotland
1760 John Hawkins (1719-89), knighted in 1772
1771 Paul Vaillant (1716-1802), Magistrate & Bookseller
1802 Thomas Ingram, (d1815), barrister of Lincoln's Inn
1818 Late Thomas Ingram
1819 Sarah Mary Ingram, widow (d1827)
1827 William Green
1828 *Rundle Esq
1835 Alexander Leach (1766-1843) of Twickenham. House insured with Sun Fire Company in 1836
1840 William Burt otherwise Carr Burt, Tide Surveyor of Portsmouth
1843 Morris Emanuel (1797-1849), then of Heath Lane Lodge
1845 Edward Saunders (1805-66), brewer of Twickenham
1846 *Dr William Harcourt
1851 *Dr Harcourt, Grosvenor School; Boys boarding School
1853 *Thomas Royle Quicke, barrister
1858 *Dr Hugh Welch Diamond (1809-86)
1866 John Hillier, nephew of Edward & Mary Saunders
1886 *Dr Cashmore Clarke, son-in-law of Dr Diamond
House recorded in watercolours by Rosa Wallis
1887 Contents sold by J N Goatly and House demolished
the house as seen from the rear garden, with the domed music room used by Sir John Hawkins
the house seen from the road in 1887. Courtesy of Richmond upon Thames Local Studies Library
The staircase of the house in 1887. by courtesy of Richmond-upon-Thames Local Studies Library

Note: * signifies tenant or lessee of property, where known. Many of the dates noted are "spot" dates taken from rate books, directories, Enclosure Award, maps, or other sources and may not indicate arrival or departure of an occupier. Occupation is shown chronologically although some exact dates have not yet been ascertained.