The Twickenham Museum
Research: Houses of local interest and their occupiers

Brinsworth House

Staines Road, Twickenham

An early cottage
Clarinda Lens, widow, of Earls Court
1777 William Barnard
1786 Land bought from William Hierons
Benjamin Bradbury (aquatint: Mr Bradbury's house, 1786)
1797 Henry Collingwood Selby (former Steward of the Manor)
1803 Land bought from Samuel Crowder
Named Colne Villa
1808 Benjamin Hawes, soap boiler of Lambeth
1825 Captain Cyprian Dufaur
1831 William Bloomfield Harvey
1834 George Hayes
Richard Van Heythuysen
John Edwards
Daniel & Elizabeth Caulfield
1844 Capt AW Durnford
1851 George Roffey, Corn Merchant of Lambeth (d1867)
1855 Cottage rebuilt
1867 Elizabeth Roffey (née Bowyer), widow (d1882)
1871 Edward Nicholson
1872 House named Colne House
1878 Thomas Grey Fullerton (d1881) of Brybergh Hall, Rotherham
1879 George Edwin Swithinbank of 15 Clifford's Inn
1881 Christian Ritter
House now named Brinsworth or Brinsmead House
1885 James Irvine
1896 Walter Clement Tyler, oculist
1900 ditto
1907 House empty
1911 C Stanley Fisher
1911 Trustees of the Variety Artistes Benevolent Fund
Brinsworth House in 1914

Note: * signifies tenant or lessee of property, where known. Many of the dates noted are "spot" dates taken from rate books, directories, Enclosure Award, maps, or other sources and may not indicate arrival or departure of an occupier. Occupation is shown chronologically although some exact dates have not yet been ascertained.