The Twickenham Museum
Research: Houses of local interest and their occupiers

Brook House

London Road, north side, next to Neville House, Twickenham

1635 "Built by a Baron of the King's Court of the Exchequer" (as well as Perryn House?)
1765 Brook House School (Rev Colston Carr)
1785 House surrendered to Rev Colston Carr by the son of William and Ann Cowdrey
1818 Rev Colston Carr's (1740-1822) school
Mrs Hodges
1829 Captain Ramsden (later at Ivy Lodge)
House reduced in height
1830 Miss Porter "for some years"
c1840 *John Philip Trew (also leased Asgill House in Richmond, then Quenby Hall, Leicestershire when he became Master of the Quorn Hunt)
1860 ditto
Edmund B Ashford m Louisa Elizabeth Vialls (1814-1913), daughter of the Rev Thomas Vialls of Radnor House
1872 Edmund B Ashford
1882 C J Thrupp
1887 ditto
1900 Miss Thrupp
1963 Brook House School closed
1964 house demolished and replaced with block of flats
a watercolour of the house from about 1868
plan showing Brook House adjacent to Neville House
Brook House in 1909

Note: * signifies tenant or lessee of property, where known. Many of the dates noted are "spot" dates taken from rate books, directories, Enclosure Award, maps, or other sources and may not indicate arrival or departure of an occupier. Occupation is shown chronologically although some exact dates have not yet been ascertained.