The Twickenham Museum
Research: Houses of local interest and their occupiers

Copt Hall
originally 3 houses

Back Lane/Holly Road north of Heath Lane, Twickenham

1656 Henry Poulton (1618-1682)
1682 Sir Hugh Middleton; Robert Hampson
1683 Michael Wicks; Edward Northey
1688 George Smith ('the new house'); Thomas Webb (Copt Hall)
1689 Sir Charles Tufton
1690 Michael Wicks
1696 Hamon L'Estrange (d1728)
1702 Michael Burgh; Fulke Greville Lord Brooke (1642-1710) of Beauchamps Court, 5th Baron
1714 Dorothy Brudenell, Countess of Westmorland (1647-1740), widow of Robert Constable (1641-1714), 3rd Viscount Dunbar, previously widow of Charles Fane 3rd Earl of Westmorland
Hamon L'Estrange (c1670-1724)
Thomas Aston
1728 The Hon James Brudenell, son of Robert, 2nd Earl of Cardigan or George (c1680-1732), 3rd Earl
1740 George Campbell
1741 George Middleton., banker. Robert Morris surveyed some brickwork.
1748 *Rear Admiral Thomas Fox (d1763)
1749 Admiral William Martin (c1696-1756)
1756 Mary Martin, widow (d1765)
1758 *Nicholas Tuite (or Towett) > 1767
1763 *Madam Fox > 1773
*Mrs Douglas
1766 William Martin, nephew (d1786)
?*Robert Gray
1771 *Mrs Mary Douglas
1774 *Lady Ann Connolly (1713-1797), from Riverside
1777-89 ?*Thomas (Capt) Hill
1786 William Martin, son
1792 Christopher D'Oyley (1717-95), Barrister of Inner Temple, politician & friend of Walpole. Brother-in-law of Welbore Ellis. Now only one house
1795 Sarah D'Oyley (nee Stanley, 1725-1821), widow
1818 Mrs D'Oyley
1826 W Jones Burdett (1774-1840)
1830 Sir F Burdett, Bart.
1841 Sarah Holmes Burdett (b1791) +6 children +10 staff
1842 Sales of contents of house (13 bedrooms on 2 upper floors
1846 William Freake; Houses demolished & Estate redeveloped as Copthall Park, by Charles James Freake
1860 (Admiral James Burney in Ebury House)

Note: * signifies tenant or lessee of property, where known. Many of the dates noted are "spot" dates taken from rate books, directories, Enclosure Award, maps, or other sources and may not indicate arrival or departure of an occupier. Occupation is shown chronologically although some exact dates have not yet been ascertained.