The Twickenham Museum
Research: Houses of local interest and their occupiers

Cross Deep Hall

Cross Deep, Twickenham

1756 House built by Samuel Scott on part of Tannery site
1762 *Thomas Pitt, "Palazzo Pitti"
1765 Frederick Atherton Hindley
1766 *Francis Thomas, Lord Kerry, 3rd Earl Fitzmaurice (1740-1818). Moved to Hampton Court House in 1770. Lady Shelburne at Richmond House a cousin. or aunt
1770 *John Fitzpatrick, Earl of Upper Ossory
1773 ‘Menell’ (Meynell?)
1774 ditto
1780 John Blake (from Cross Deep Lodge)
1782 Mrs Ann Gostling (1722-1799)
1784 Samuel Prime
1808 Francis Lind (1752-1840)
*Edward John Coleman
1855 George Smith
Frederick Lowry Barnwell
1858 ditto
1864 Goldenham
1865 - Sterne
1871 George Child (b1808) & Mary his wife
1872 *Mr Richard Laming (1835-80)
William Lomas (d1899);
Sarah Ann Lomas, wife
1882 *The Lady Adeliza Manners
1887 *Mrs Molyneux
1899 Alfred Lomas, son
Eliza Lomas (d1928), daughter
1902 Property enfranchised
1928 House sold
1939 adjacent Cottage sold to Nancollas
1940-45 Bomb damage
1952 Compulsory purchase by Council; House demolished
the only known view (partial). The house is at the left of the picture.
the summerhouse on the river bank of Cross Deep Hall garden in about 1910
plan of Cross Deep Hall in 1928

Note: * signifies tenant or lessee of property, where known. Many of the dates noted are "spot" dates taken from rate books, directories, Enclosure Award, maps, or other sources and may not indicate arrival or departure of an occupier. Occupation is shown chronologically although some exact dates have not yet been ascertained.