The Twickenham Museum
Research: Houses of local interest and their occupiers

Devoncroft (Lodge)

Oak Lane/Amyand Park Road, Twickenham

a part of the Twickenham Manor Estate owned by the Crown
1635 Shown on Moses Glover's map contained in Twickenham Manor Park
1722 Thomas Stonor; offered for sale as "Gardiner's House", being part of Twickenham Manor
1763 *Mrs Frances Amyand, widow
1784 ?Mr John Dobson (Samuel Lewis)
1805 Mrs Clarke
Rev George Townshend, Canon of Durham
1830 Mrs Proby
1840 Mrs Proby (Grove Cottage)
1863 "Grove Cottage" on O S Map
1865 Miss Elizabeth Proby (b1792)
1881 ? Lillie Langtry
1894 "Devoncroft" on O S Map; House divided and part now called Grove Cottage
the house in 2004

Note: * signifies tenant or lessee of property, where known. Many of the dates noted are "spot" dates taken from rate books, directories, Enclosure Award, maps, or other sources and may not indicate arrival or departure of an occupier. Occupation is shown chronologically although some exact dates have not yet been ascertained.