The Twickenham Museum
Research: Houses of local interest and their occupiers

Heatham House

Whitton Road, Twickenham

1635 (an earlier house) Bishop Corbet (1582-1635). Property straddling the Crane River
1679 ?Edward Stillingflete (1635-99), Dean of St Paul's and later Bishop of Worcester
1690 Mathew Harvey
1711-38 ?John Crookshanks
1736 bought by Stephen Cole II, Brewer (1707-1790) and probably rebuilt by him.
1769 Lady Mary, Countess Catherlough (Lady Mary Le Quesne, widow) d1795, bur. Hampton. 2nd wife & widow of Robert Knight, 1st Earl (1702-72)
1790 Mrs Cole
Lady Anne Simpson
1818 Roger Wilbraham Esq FRS (1744-1829)
1830 Colonel Espinasse of the 4th (or King's Own) Regiment (1760-1845)
1840 ditto
1845 George Beauchamp Cole, son-in-law
Major W A Shaw
1872 Mrs Mary Ann Shaw ( d1880) & brother, Edward Cooke Bourne,
1873 Mrs Shaw
1881 House empty
1882 Frederic Walton
1887 ditto
Sir Charles Hawtrey (d1923)
1891 Charles & Mary Fox
1901 Ernest W Wickham, Solicitor and wife Hannah
Einar Norman
Mrs E K Cole & others
1929 W T Lane
1944 House acquired by Middlesex County Council
1950 House opened as a Youth Centre
a watercolour of the house in about 1890
the house in 2004

Note: * signifies tenant or lessee of property, where known. Many of the dates noted are "spot" dates taken from rate books, directories, Enclosure Award, maps, or other sources and may not indicate arrival or departure of an occupier. Occupation is shown chronologically although some exact dates have not yet been ascertained.