The Twickenham Museum
Research: Houses of local interest and their occupiers

Holly House

Queens Road area, Twickenham

1720 ?Sir Clement Cottrell until 1741
1749 Charles Boehm (1700-69)
1757 Arthur Blenner Hassett Esq
1760 Thomas Wallis Esq
1769 "Hassett Blenner" (rate uncollected)
1770 John Spackman (d1786) > 1785
1786 Lt Thomas Hill RN (d1789), by inheritance
1840 Miss Eliza Chowne(s), school for young ladies
1841 ditto
1846 Clement Tudway Swanston, QC
1855 ditto
1860 ditto
1872 Rev J Twentyman (Grosvenor School)
1882 Rev L M D'Orsey, MA (Grosvenor School, from Heath House)
1887 ditto
The Lodge to Holly House had, originally, an archway for access from Heath Lane. It took its name, Spackman's Buildings from an early occupier of the house, John Spackman. Samuel Lewis's map of 1784 so names it. Edward Ironside lived in one side.
1961 Spackman's Buildings demolished
Holly House in about 1880
Holly House Lodge, known also as Spackman's Buildings, facing Heath Road

Note: * signifies tenant or lessee of property, where known. Many of the dates noted are "spot" dates taken from rate books, directories, Enclosure Award, maps, or other sources and may not indicate arrival or departure of an occupier. Occupation is shown chronologically although some exact dates have not yet been ascertained.