The Twickenham Museum
Research: Houses of local interest and their occupiers

Lebanon Park

Riverside, Twickenham

1607 ?Sir James Pemberton (c1545-1613) Lord Mayor of London 1611-12 (freehold on Tresswell map)
?Edward Prescott
Early house owned by Captain Ell
1658 *Dr William Fuller (1608-1675)
1661 Captain Richard Ell
*Lady Ashe
1688-9 Henry Plumptre (1644-93) Esq, of Nottingham; Buried there in the Plumptre Chapel
1701 Thomas Wentworth, Lord Raby, Earl of Strafford (1672-1739)
c1705 Isabella, Lady Wentworth (1653-1733); (in adjacent cottage from 1712)
1706-10 House extensively repaired
1739 William Wentworth, 2nd Earl of Strafford (1722-1791)
1791 Lady Anne Connolly (d1797), sister, by inheritance, moves from Copt Hall
1794 House demolished & rebuilt by G R Holmes, a Twickenham builder: 41 rooms
1797 Frances Viscountess Howe (d1817), daughter
1817 Frances (1781-1851) & Caroline Byng (d1841), nieces of Lady Howe
Charles Ramsden of Cantley Hall, Yorks under will of Frances Byng
1851 Dowager Duchess of Northumberland (d1866); House renamed Mount Lebanon
1866 Prince de Joinville, 3rd son of Louis Philippe
1871 William Cunard; John Crossley
John Crossley
1900 Mrs Crossley
1909 House empty, damaged by fire; House demolished
Mount Lebanon in 1706

Note: * signifies tenant or lessee of property, where known. Many of the dates noted are "spot" dates taken from rate books, directories, Enclosure Award, maps, or other sources and may not indicate arrival or departure of an occupier. Occupation is shown chronologically although some exact dates have not yet been ascertained.