The Twickenham Museum
Research: Houses of local interest and their occupiers

Little Marble Hill

, Twickenham

A pair of houses first
1752 John Fridenberg in one: ejected and went to live in Teddington as surveyor for the Turnpike Trust
1752 Thomas Barlow > 1763
1763 ?Fridenberg's house demolished
1764 Daniel Giles, Governor of the Bank of England; house enlarged
1781 Lady Diana Beauclerk (1734-1808) > 1789
1781 Raphael Franco > 1781, nephew of David Franco (d1778) next to Fortescue House
the house then known as Spencer Grove
1790 Lady Frances Tollemache (1738-1807)
1793 Henrietta Hotham >1805
1794 The house now known as Twickenham Meadows
1806 Sir John Lubbock MP > 1812
1812 Timothy Brent (d1833); ?House renamed Little Marble Hill
1833 Margaret Brent, widow (d1835)
1835 William Brent Brent (d1857), nephew> 1844
c1840 *Robert Vernon (1774-1849). House painted by J J Chalon
1845 John Holmes
1847 Charles Douglas
1848 Frederick O Thompson
1849 The Duke of Montrose > 1856
1857 Nathaniel Gedye
1859 Nicholas Gedye
1861-7 George Goldsmith Kirby (d1868)
1870 Jervis John Jervis & Robert Whitworth
1873 House demolished
1876 Jonathan Peel; land added to Marble Hill House Estate
Engraving from an original deawing by W Watts, 21 Feb 1794

Note: * signifies tenant or lessee of property, where known. Many of the dates noted are "spot" dates taken from rate books, directories, Enclosure Award, maps, or other sources and may not indicate arrival or departure of an occupier. Occupation is shown chronologically although some exact dates have not yet been ascertained.