The Twickenham Museum
Research: Houses of local interest and their occupiers

Marble Hill House

, Twickenham

1724 house built for Henrietta Howard, Countess of Suffolk (1688-1767)
1767 2nd Earl of Buckingshamshire (d1793), in trust
1768 *John Halliday
1794 Henrietta Hobart (d1816), by inheritance
1795 *Maria Fitzherbert
1796 *Henrietta Laura Pulteney, Lady Bath (1766-1808)
1808 *Duchess of Bolton (d1809), widow of Henry Powlett, 6th Duke
1812 *Charles Augustus Tulk Jr
1817 5th Earl of Buckinghamshire, by inheritance
1818 *Edward Fletcher
1820 *? Marquis Wellesley
1824 Timothy Brent (sold and moved to Little Marble Hill)
1825 Captain (later Lieut.General) Jonathan Peel (1799-1879)
1879 Lady Peel
1888 House empty
1899 William Cunard and family members
1902 London County Council
1903 Grounds opened to the public

Note: * signifies tenant or lessee of property, where known. Many of the dates noted are "spot" dates taken from rate books, directories, Enclosure Award, maps, or other sources and may not indicate arrival or departure of an occupier. Occupation is shown chronologically although some exact dates have not yet been ascertained.