First recorded school in Twickenham
The earliest reference to a school in Twickenham is found in St Mary’s church records during the 1640s. The reference is indirect, mentioning the need for repairs to a house occupied by the schoolmaster where he was "keeping school". It was situated close to the Embankment and shortly afterwards a girls (maids) department opened, possibly in a separate building.
The school appears to have closed or moved elsewhere in 1669. In 1686 the school restarted with the appointment of William Lawrence as master.