Inns and Public Houses
A change in the law in 1830 (The Beer House Act) allowed a large number of beer houses to open and many later became Public Houses.
Inns have long played a prominent role in local life. In earlier days their main purpose was to provide accommodation and nourishment to travellers and their horses.
A change in the law in 1830 (The Beer House Act) allowed a large number of beer houses to open and many later became Public Houses. In Twickenham, over 30 Beer Houses opened between 1830 and 1869. In 1870, responsibility for beer houses was transferred to the licensing magistrates and there was a clampdown: no new licences were granted in Twickenham between 1870 and 1900.
From 1900-1914 many smaller houses were closed and a number rebuilt, with a net loss of 21 houses in Twickenham. Between 1918 & 1939 some houses were closed, mainly by transfer to new residential areas.
After 1945 the licensed trade continued to decline although during the last 10 years or so new houses have opened; old premises are constantly refitted and, often spuriously, renamed.