The Twickenham Museum
Places : East Twickenham and St Margarets

Cambridge Park & Meadowbank
A Jacobean Mansion

Cambridge Park, previously Twickenham Meadows, and Richmond Bridge in an engraving by J Landseer
CAMBRIDGE PARK, RICHMOND FERRY, later TWICKENHAM MEADOWS later CAMBRIDGE HOUSE, A Jacobean, brick mansion of three storeys, built c1610 and demolished in 1937. Frescoes and a fireplace surround uncovered during the demolition have been held to date from the middle of the 16th century, suggesting that an earlier building was incorporated into the building of the house. At 74 acres, the second largest estate in Twickenham after Twickenham Park c1616 Sir Humphrey Lynd (1579-1636) 74 acres + new mansion 1630 Joyce Countess of Totnes (1562-1637) 1638 Sir Thomas Lawley, Bt (1586-1646) 1646 Estate retained by the family 1657 Sir Joseph Ashe, Bt (1617-1686) 1687 Sir James Ashe, Bt (1674-1733) son 1733 Joseph Windham Ashe (1683-1746) son-in-law adopted name 1747 Martha Ashe, widow (d1749) mansion enlarged 1749 Valens Comyns 1751 Richard Owen Cambridge (1717-1802) 1802 Charlotte Cambridge (d1823) daughter 1823 George Owen Cambridge (1756-1841) son (Archdeacon) 1824 Lord Mount Edgcumbe, 2nd Earl (1764- 1839) Property leased

Property divided
Meadowbank built
1832 John Cam Hobhouse Property leased
1835 Henry Bevan (d1860) 30 remaining acres
mansion enlarged
renamed Cambridge House
1860 Lady Caroline Chichester daughter
Sir Edward John Dean Paul (4th Bt. d1895) grandson
1895 Henry Creswell Foulkes, builder Estate redeveloped
c1930 Mansion demolished

Mr Bishop's Observatory, 1869


1824 George Owen (Archdeacon) Cambridge 44 acres + new house
1832 Meadowside Cottage built
1861 George Bishop Junior (astronomer) Observatory built
1863 Jeremiah Little land surrounding the house
1926 House extended
c1960 House rebuilt

further reading:

Twickenham 1600-1900, People & Places, Borough of Twickenham Local History Society Paper No 47, 1988
Maureen Bunch, Cambridge Park, Twickenham 1616-1835, Borough of Twickenham Local History Society Paper No 63, 1989

back to top