Hampton Wick Pubs
Being at the end of Kingston Bridge and near Hampton Court meant that there were many pubs.
The Swan at 22 High Street is mentioned in a document of 1610. The date 1535 painted on the front suggests when it was first built. It was rebuilt in 1931. The King's Arms near the Lion Gate to the Palace is mentioned in records of 1658 but this was probably an earlier building on the site.
The Rose and Crown and The White Horse are mentioned in the earliest surviving book of Vestry Minutes in 1788. The Rose and Crown was at 61 High Street and The White Horse was in Old Bridge Street. Neither are in existence today. Later public houses include The Foresters at 45 High Street (documented in 1861) and The Railway Inn (mentioned in 1859).
The Foresters later had a face-lift with the addition of Dutch gables. The Railway Inn closed down in 2010. The Grove Inn is mentioned in 1853. It closed and became a petrol station and garage, Grove Motors, from 1920 for around 60 years. It was then converted to offices and is now known as Navigator House.
Two further premises, near Hampton Court, were opened in the 1850s and 1860s. These were The Queen's Arms (listed in 1867) and later converted to a private house known as “Bastians”. The Greyhound Inn dates to the 1850s and still trades, under the name of The Liongate Hotel.